Yips for a noob

danvannoorden
danvannoorden Posts: 36
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so thought I'd call on your experience to help me decide which bike to buy for my first post :)

I have £400 to spend and have been looking at either a carrera Vulcan or voodoo Bantu from halfords as there cheap n pretty well spec'd for their price tag, I could squeeze another £100 but haven't seen anything noticeably better for a little extra.

I have been drawn towards the Vulcan because of the SRAM gearing and hydraulic disk brakes, there only the x4 set but that will do fine for now as I'm going to convert to 1x10 when parts need replacing. Does anyone know if the 2014 Vulcan has a 11-32t cassette? Forgot to ask while I was there.

Ive heard countless times that the Vulcan is heavy but having gone to see it and picked it up, it really isn't that heavy! Not compared to my Saracen team MAD trails bike.

Any more info or options would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Forgot to mention, the bike will be mainly for commuting to begin with but eventually I'll be starting to ride off road once I get my fitness up (stopping smoking)
DVN

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Voodoo is a better buy than the Vulcan, better brakes, better forks, no sure why you prefer SRAM to Shimano, the Voodoo's gearing is perfectly useable.

The Vulcan is 11-32, but as you'll be changing it if you go 1x10 so what?

the Vulcan is on the heavy side, the Bantu is a bit lighter and feels much lighter to ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Im not against shimano ive just heard good things about sram, and having shimano on all past bikes fancyd a change.

Thanks for the reply ill take a look at the bantu when im next able to get into Halfords.

I thought the cassette on the vulcan was a 9 speed so if it was 11-32 I was going to make 1x9 but ive seen its only 8 sp
    DVN
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    eh, first 1x10, now 1x9?

If you went 1x9 you'd want an 11-34 ideally, not an 11-32.

1x9 on a Vulcan would just be a shifter, chain and cassette.....works well (see link in sig to my similar Kraken.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Haha sorry, im heavily indecisive about these things all I know is a want a good base to eventually be able to mod .

Great post about the kraken and kraken job getting it under 10kg! Lol

Ive heard pros and cons about both x9 & x10 so ill probably decide on that when the time comes for repairs.

Thanks for the reply s any how
    DVN