9of 10 on a 7 speed freewheel

5pudgun
5pudgun Posts: 402
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi,got some old spinergy wheels with 7speed free wheel. I'm running a 10 speed cassette with one cog removed ie 9 speed, with 10 speed shifters, all is well apart from when using the smallest cog on the rear, when the chain jumps constantly as if trying to change gear. This occurs in both front rings. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Assuming chain isn't worn? You may be running a lockring for a 12-sprocket with an 11-tooth top sprocket? The chain simply can't seat on the sprocket and skips.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 5pudgun
    The top sprocket is 11 tooth, but the locking is the one supplied with it which worked fine when running 10 speed.
    chain also running fine at 10 speed. I used a small spacer to take up a bit of slack in the cassette,I put this on before the cassette. Would this be better placed between small sprocket and lockring? Perhaps the chain would seat better then?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spacer before the cassette. Check that there's no movement in the cassette - the top sprocket sits on top of the splines and so the spacing might still be off - try adding another 1mm spacer behind the cassette?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 5pudgun
    Tried another spacer, couldn't locate small sprocket at all. However when reassembled it works ok. Maybe I didn't locate it properly in the first instance :oops: oh well we live and learn? Thanks very much for your help.
  • Have you adjusted the limit screws and gear cable tension for the rear mech -to suit the new cassette
  • 5pudgun
    Yes, may need a fine tune after first ride but chain stays on cassette both ends and shifts ok.