Advice appreciated!

TomK95
TomK95 Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

I've just signed up to this site so I apologise if this is in the wrong place etc!

I was into XC riding when I was in my early teens and I'm looking to get back to it! I'm looking to spend £200/£300 or so on a used bike. (My other toy is a Land Rover trialler, she does quite well at keeping me poor...)

I've seen a bike on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en) does this seem like a good deal to you guys? I'm a car mechanic by trade so I suppose I'm fairly handy at spotting faults, is there anything common I should be looking for on XC bikes?

What I could really use is your experience - so anything advice and tips you can give me will be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Lots of stuff to look for, stanchion wear on the forks(considering their age those judy tts may be knackered but you cannot tell from a pic), cracks in the frame, wheel true, brakes working and quiet etc....

Will the seller let you test it before committing? If it fits you well and feels well put together go for it though as I have experienced with used bikes if you need new brake pads(£25)/ bleeding(£15) or the BB/ headset is loose among many other things the bill may get a bit higher than you initially expected.

Use your judgment but £200 seems a fair price especially if it has been well cared for.
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Looks ok to me ref spec and price. Check the frame for cracks around the head and seatpost (and everywhere else too, but particularly there), look for any scratches to the fork stantions, check brake pad wear, do the Mechs move freely and ate they bent at all, does the bottom bracket creak when you pedal, is there play in the wheels hubs (hold front brake and gently move bike back and forth while you stand over it). Any bent teeth on chainrings? Wheels buckled?

Think that's about it. Pads will cost money, cables cost money, brake fluid cost money, bb costs etc. All can easily be replaced if needed but worth considering and using in your bargaining.

Main thing...does It fit? Don't buy it if it's the wrong size!
  • TomK95
    TomK95 Posts: 3
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the help, I'll have a look and see what happens. :D