Yokozuna cables worth it?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Going to recable my Sram red set up, are Yokozuna a good choice?

Comments

• I think jagwire road pro is good enough.

if you wanna spend silly money Yokozuna or Shimano Dura ace is a good choice.
  • white91
    £45 for gear and brakes isnt really silly money in my eyes
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I got a few sets of Yokozuna for £25 a while back. They are very good indeed, but bear in mind the outers on the brake cables in particular are quite stiff which might present a problem on some bikes. With Sram they are a good choice if the price is right and the bends don't present a problem, brake pull is very smooth indeed for instance.

Try reading this, I think it says some of the same things...
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/yokozuna-reaction-complete-cable-and-housing-kit

Someone else has mentioned Jagwire road pro, built with them a few times, personally in practice I don't think they offer any advantage over a standard off the roll offerings apart from a wide colour choice, but in fairness they do the job though, as do all cables.
  • white91
    How did you get them for £25?

Its for my new build, I'm considering blowing best part of £800 on wheels, so £45 isn't too bad really
  • mfin
    white91 wrote:
    How did you get them for £25?

Its for my new build, I'm considering blowing best part of £800 on wheels, so £45 isn't too bad really

Originally I bought a set full price, then I bought 3 sets off ebay when someone had listed a few sets for £25 each, and then another set for the same from one of the online stores a while back. Some Campag, some Shimano/Sram.

I've still got some left, but am currently running the oem Gore ones with Sram and the Campag oem ones with Campag. They don't offer a lot over the oems, but it is noticeable. The real reason I am not using them at the moment is both of those main bikes look best with plain black cabling, and all the Yokos I bought are white.
  • white91
    Well if you fancy selling a set you know where I am ;)
  • mfin
    Thought you might say that, sorry but they're sort of part of my 'stock' if you know what I mean. I'm sure if someone spots a good deal they will say though.