Cube stereo 140 29er, Anyone tried one or similar?

surfbodi
surfbodi Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. Ive recently sold my zesty and am looking for a bit of a change. My riding includes eveything from all day back country rides to trail centers/ uplift days and a trip to morzine as well this year. Ive considered all sorts but am finding that a lot of the bikes I like are already completely sold out and not available until next years models come out :-( I do like the look of the Cube stereos and the Stereo 140 29er race looks great and has a really good spec with Pike forks and sram X0 etc. I also get a pretty good discount on cube bikes. Im not a big guy being around 5'8'' and 10 stone. Ihavent ridden a 29er other than a quick spin around a carpark on a hardtail. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this sort of bike and how it will cope with such a varied use. Cheers all :D

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A 29er is going to struggle on uplift days. Other than that it should be good.
  • One question - why sell the Zesty? I would have thought that it would be an ideal 'do everything' bike.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • surfbodi
    surfbodi Posts: 23
    I tend to change my bike every 2 years or so. Im lucky enough to get a good discount from my local bike shop and having had a spicy and then a zesty I just fancy something different. I have finally accepted that I need a dropper post as well so why spend £300 on a seatpost when you can buy a new bike with one fitted :-D Some proper mountain biker logic for you there!
  • rockmonkeysc
    You can get a reverb for £200. No one needs one but they are nice to have.
    I would make frame and forks the top priority.
    How about a Nukeproof Mega AM? That would fit nicely with what you want to ride.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    If your close enough and can wait 4 weeks, there is a free demo weekend with it available. http://www.qecyclefest.co.uk/demo-fleet/#
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    A 29er is going to struggle on uplift days.

Haha! That's a good one.

Why would a 29er struggle on an uplift day? Unless I assume you mean the trailer might not fit 29" wheels....
  • rockmonkeysc
    A lot of trailers can't take 29ers. Also the wheels are way too flexy, makes it impossible to hold a line. They generally don't steer well enough in the tight turns and the wheels are too weak.
    Unless your idea of an uplift day is the red and blue trails at bike park wales then you will be fine.
    On anything particularly rough 26" is best.
  • Hob Nob
    22550d1381890705-ford-dealers-blow-fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-trolling-7e8642.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's a very good reason why no one races downhill on 29ers (Pietermaritzberg doesn't count as downhill). They just aren't good on downhill tracks.
    I like 29ers, the Anthem 29 is my next xc bike and I tried a Remedy 29 which was a great trail bike but when pushed there was too much wheel and fork flex.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Deadly serious.

29ers are not fun on full on uplift days for all the reasons he states.
  • Hob Nob
    There's a very good reason why no one races downhill on 29ers (Pietermaritzberg doesn't count as downhill). They just aren't good on downhill tracks.
    I like 29ers, the Anthem 29 is my next xc bike and I tried a Remedy 29 which was a great trail bike but when pushed there was too much wheel and fork flex.

There are plenty of people who have raced downhill on 29ers. And despite what you think PMB does count. It's important to have a spread of many different styles of DH tracks, from the likes of PMB, to Champery, Andorra & Schladming. Racing DH should be a test of skill AND fitness throughout the season. That way, the best rider overall wins.

I can't say I've noticed any fork or wheel flex on my 29", and despite your misconceptions that includes racing it to various podiums and beating numerous people on 26" wheels and DH bikes.
    Deadly serious.

Yep, you're right, they are rubbish. I have more fun running down the tracks rather than riding my bike.

In fact I think I'll relegate it to tow paths. That will teach it for not being any fun at all.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The generalisation in this thread is hilarious. Sure as an out and out uplift some 29ers probably aren't ideal, but I can tell you now there are some that are damn good all-round bikes that are more than happy being given some proper abuse. A mate of mine has a 5 29er and he's no slouch, Cedric Gracia rode the last round of the EWS on a Tallboy LTc. As an all-round bike for a bit of everything a good 29er is a solid choice. I recently rode a Remedy 29er and Tallboy LTc and both felt pretty good, the Trek felt a little cramped despite being a 19.5" but it was a solid bike, good spec, handled nicely and the suspension felt pretty plush. The Tallboy felt faster and pedalled better, was pretty impressed by that. Personally I'm not a 29er fan, I prefer the added agility of smaller wheels and the geometry that they can bring, but both the Trek, Tallboy and the Yeti SB95 I rode last year would make great all-round bikes and more than happy to do a bit of everything, despite what riding god Rockmonkey would have you believe.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Hob Nob wrote:
    Deadly serious.

Yep, you're right, they are rubbish. I have more fun running down the tracks rather than riding my bike.

In fact I think I'll relegate it to tow paths. That will teach it for not being any fun at all.

Good so you should :P

People have an opinion, and are entitled to give it. I don't tend to agree with rock boy much but here i do. it's an opinion no need to get pent up about it.
  • Hob Nob
    True, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

But to generalise that all 29ers are crap at going DH'ing on, because the wheels are like wet noodles, heavy, break and you can't go round tight switchbacks on them is laughable.
  • Hi Surfbodi,

I had a go on the Cube Stereo 140 29er at Cannock in March. I didn't do any serious DH (wasn't allowed :( ) but it performed well in the XC sections and the faster Red sections near the Tackeroo camp site. I will admit it was a bit twitchy but I put that down to being my first 29er ride. The spec on the bike is good and I like the Fox CTD shocks.

I was after a new bike but I couldn't stretch the budget to the Stereo so I went for the Sting 140 Pro 29er (with a RockShoxks Reverb added) instead and it is brilliant. I had a leisurely ride around Sherwood Pines on it last week and I couldn't fault it. I even ventured onto the short downhill run there and loved it. The bike flies, steers well, brakes good and no wobbly wheels at the end. I am no DH pro but I'm also no slouch so I was nailing it pretty hard after 2/3 runs, after my 6th run I was slicing my strava time down the sections after every run.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
    Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
    Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired