£300 Pound Bike

AdamHep
AdamHep Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
So im looking to buy a new bike, currently using my fathers GT Agressor 2.0 which is nice. I recently got a 300 pound bonus at work so pretty much thats my budget. Before people start saying ive read the sticky about the rockrider however i went to the decathlon shop and i wasnt a fan at all, found it odd and uncomfortable. So can anyone help me? I just missed out on this years carrera vulcan for 270 which seems a big shame.

I wont be doing anything too extreme at all, just easier trails and even some commuting so changing tyres will be needed :)
Are the halfords bikes as crap as everyone says, like the vengeance and titan 650B

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Nothing wrong with bikes form halfords just the build quality sometime leaves much to be desired. For that money I would go for a well kept second hand as you can find way more bike for the money component wise.
  • AdamHep
    AdamHep Posts: 5
    Thanks for the help man, i would be willing to go second hand however im pretty stuck cos i live quite rural and cant travel too far so not too many options nearby.
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    There is always Ebay but then you don't always have the option of trying it first. Or try your local gumtree listings I have seen some pretty good bikes at dirt cheap prices in the more rural areas as there are less local buyers.
  • PBNinja
    PBNinja Posts: 44
    Plenty of halfords discount codes floating about too.
  • joestella28
    joestella28 Posts: 165
    I bought a Voodoo Bantu for £180 second hand and then replaced the groupset for Deore spec and up for around 60 quid.

Would have to spend near double that new to get a better bike IMO.

At this price bracket as mentioned above, go second hand.