BB converion?

dukepaulus
dukepaulus Posts: 18
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I just took delivery of a 2012 Merida Ride 91 frame and forks. It's going to be a bit of a summer project. When supplied new as a complete bike it would've been sporting a shimano ES25 octalink BB. I'm considering a bit of an upgrade since I'll need to fit a new BB to the frame and want to know if I can go for BB30 or do I need to use standard diameter cranks?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BB30 is not suitable.

You will need a bb or bb cups that are threaded.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It'll be BSA threaded - 1.37"x24 tpi. The only 30mm spindle crank that will fit are Rotor due to longer spindle that sits bearings outboard.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • papavero
    papavero Posts: 57
    Monty Dog wrote:
    It'll be BSA threaded - 1.37"x24 tpi. The only 30mm spindle crank that will fit are Rotor due to longer spindle that sits bearings outboard.
    Or 386evo or campag overtorque or ......, whichever you will also need a suitable bottom bracket for the 30mm shaft which may involve very small bearings. Probably best to stick to a standard setup, you don't hear too many dura ace / record users complaining.
  • Thanks for the advice folks. Good quality standard set up it will be.