Really Sore gooch from rides this year...why?!

vikkyg85
vikkyg85 Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Firstly I am a male. I've ridden around 22 hours, ~700k so far this year on 12 rides and for some reason my gooch is getting really sore after 15-20k on rides, I've been pushing on and doing my usual 60k but it's forcing me out of the saddle. I currently own a Prologo Choice Max Ti Saddle. I had no problems last year with it, other than the usual 2-3 rides after the winter break.

I'm not riding very regularly either, not more than twice a week and normally monday/friday.

I'm not sure if it's the saddle gone bad, the position of the saddle (maybe needs to be moved forward? pointed down a little?) or if it's something wrong with my body?

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Changed shorts?
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Make sure the saddle is flat with maybe a degree or two downwards at the tip.
    Your saddle might have been slightly loose etc, and got a shove or something that knocked it back, start fiddling with it's position anyway before rushing to buy a new one or whatever.

You haven't by any chance lowered your stem or handlebars either have you? :)

Hope to help,
    Cormac
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    Have a shave and whack on some chamois cream?
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    What's a Gooch? Did he not play cricket for England?
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    Has your weight changed significantly.?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Has your position changed at all?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Also make sure your saddle isn't broken. Push down on it and check underneath if anything has snapped.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    As mentioned try changing the saddle position (try tilting it up and down as well as height and setback) and check the saddle for wear or damage. Different shoes or pedals could change your ride height or Q-factor. It could also just be that your body is changing, which is fairly normal as we age, and you need a different shape saddle.
  • I use Spesh Avatar saddles and I find after about 4k miles or so use they start to sag a bit - when I replace them I can feel how firm they are when new. I am heavy though and they are cheapish saddles but maybe ...

Also I can guess what a gooch probably is from the context but where is that a common word for this part of the body ???
  • vikkyg85
    vikkyg85 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies y'all! Glad to see none saying go to the doctor!
    mfin wrote:
    Changed shorts?

I did actually change shorts near the end of last year, to Assos T FI.Uno S5 Bib Short. Before this I was chopping and changing between 3 pairs of cheap imitation team shorts.
    IrishMac wrote:
    Make sure the saddle is flat with maybe a degree or two downwards at the tip.
    Your saddle might have been slightly loose etc, and got a shove or something that knocked it back, start fiddling with it's position anyway before rushing to buy a new one or whatever.

You haven't by any chance lowered your stem or handlebars either have you? :)

Hope to help,
    Cormac

The saddle looked very flat, parallel to the ground. I just lowered the tip and shifted it back before todays pre-breakfast spin though and I could feel that I was sitting on my 'sit bones' rather than my gooch.
    antsmithmk wrote:
    Have a shave and whack on some chamois cream?

It's pretty trim down there. I don't have any chamois cream and have never used any... maybe I should start?
    What's a Gooch? Did he not play cricket for England?

Gooch is the bit between balls and a-hole. I wanted to try and get across that it wasn't my 'sit bones' that were hurting.
    gazman428 wrote:

Nope, maybe a kg lighter.
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Has your position changed at all?

Not that I can think of, I tried raising my saddle near the end of last year, but that would only be mm's. I do ride a 52" and I'm 5'8", so the handlebars are a little low and I have a reasonable stem. My position isn't crazy aero though.
    patrickf wrote:
    Also make sure your saddle isn't broken. Push down on it and check underneath if anything has snapped.

Seems fine as far as I can tell. It's a little worn on the top tip for some reason.
    As mentioned try changing the saddle position (try tilting it up and down as well as height and setback) and check the saddle for wear or damage. Different shoes or pedals could change your ride height or Q-factor. It could also just be that your body is changing, which is fairly normal as we age, and you need a different shape saddle.

I just got some new pedals but only the same as what I had before. I tried to get the cleats the same, but they're on new for the last 2 rides. I'm only 24, so hopefully my body isn't changing too fast!
    I use Spesh Avatar saddles and I find after about 4k miles or so use they start to sag a bit - when I replace them I can feel how firm they are when new. I am heavy though and they are cheapish saddles but maybe ...

Also I can guess what a gooch probably is from the context but where is that a common word for this part of the body ???

The saddle probably has had a lot of miles in it, but not by me, by the previous owner...
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    gazman428 wrote:

This is a good point - the less fat in your body the less 'cushioning'
  • Perineum

Bet it's the saddle sagging cause of age - treat yourself to a new one.
  • A mate had this problem, it took years to figure out what it was in the end they put it down to having a really small c..k. so try stuffing a banana down there to pad things out a little
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    A mate had this problem, it took years to figure out what it was in the end they put it down to having a really small c..k. so try stuffing a banana down there to pad things out a little
    I guess if you getting hungry half way round you are sorted as well.