When toeing in brake pads

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Option 1. Rearmost end of the pad should be closest to the rim
Option 2. Frontmost end of the pad should be closest to the rim

My leaning is towards the rearmost end of the pad being closest to the rim because the rims direction of travel is clockwise when moving forwards so that means the rearmost end of the pad meets the rim first. In the wet it will shed water from the rim before the rest of the pad meets the rim.

If the frontmost end of the pad meets the rim first then water will be trapped beneath the pad for one revolution until it is shed.

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    edited April 2014
    ///////
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Option 2. Toeing the pads in has the effect of the pad being dragged onto the rim, evening out wear, increasing their effectiveness, giving better modulation and reducing brake squeal.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I use a Tacx Shoe Tuner would be lost without, my mates now use one as well.
  • earth
    I can picture what Freezing is saying about the arms twisting but I can picture it happening most for option 2 as DKay says. But I'm sure water will get trapped beneath the pads initially if I choose option 2.
  • earth
    How about option 3 - no toe-in/out just parallel?

After a while the pads will wear to parallel anyway.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Velonutter wrote:

I go for the cheaper option of a piece of cardboard folded over.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    "the rims direction of travel is clockwise when moving forwards"
    Of course it is, no matter which side you look at the bike from and therefore your rationale is absolutely spot on.
    Or perhaps you should think again.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    To toe in brake pads put a small piece or card or folded paper at the rear of the pad, between pad and rim. Then tighten the brakes. This should leave a small gap only at the rear of the pad when brakes are applied. As the brakes are applied the forward turning motion of the rim drags the pads onto the rim. If you do it the wrong way round the brakes don't grip as well and can make a honking noise.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    After a while the pads will wear to parallel anyway
    +1

A waste of time unless you have problem with squeeling brakes. Even then you have to regularly repeat the procedure as the pads wear.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    redvee wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

I go for the cheaper option of a piece of cardboard folded over.

Old SIM card for me.
  • earth
    Gethinceri wrote:
    "the rims direction of travel is clockwise when moving forwards"
    Of course it is, no matter which side you look at the bike from and therefore your rationale is absolutely spot on.
    Or perhaps you should think again.

Ok, its anti clockwise if you look from the other side :oops:

That just makes it difficult to describe what I wanted to say.

I'm setting them parallel anyway.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Velonutter wrote:

I'm sure I'm an idiot but how does that thing work?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't understand this 2 options.

There is only one way. And the water comment has no strength as it does not consider how the brake pad moves.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • earth
    nicklouse wrote:
    Don't understand this 2 options.

There is only one way. And the water comment has no strength as it does not consider how the brake pad moves.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ke-service

I wasn't aware how the brake pad gets dragged onto the rim when it is toed in so no, it does not consider that. But I was considering the possibility that water or debris could get trapped beneath the pad if the foremost part of the pad meets the rim first. If the rearmost part of the pad meets the rim first then it may be able to scrape water and debris from the rim before the rest of the pad closes over the rim - bit like a snow plough.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Leading edge toe in or parallel. Leading edge cleans the rim for the rest of the pad to then touch.

Trailing edge collects dirt and water under the contact patch and will destroy the pads and rims very quickly.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Miles253 wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

I'm sure I'm an idiot but how does that thing work?

This clamps on the rim and keeps the brake pads perfectly aligned top and bottom as well a directing the front of the pads closer to the rim than the rear by a couple of mm's
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Might get one of those tacx things, looks pretty useful.