Chain szing

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I know this has probably been asked a million times before but just want to check what I've done is correct.

I've just gone 1 x 10, 30t Race Face NW chainring, 11-36 cassette, zee for rear mech.

Am I right in thinking chain length is determined by pushing rear shock through its entire travel and measuring the chain around biggest rear cog, front chainring and ignoring the rear derIllieur?

Thanks in advance - I'm just paranoid as the first and only other time I fitted a new chain I cocked it up and ended up with the derailleur in the spokes and a big repair bill ;-)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes and add in two links. Or so.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bwstokie
    Balls - knew there was something I forgot!

So even though it's sized with the suspension fully compressed you need to add two links? I took two out because it just seemed way too slack in the biggest gear when I took off my slx long cage and replaced it with the zee?
  • cooldad
    Either one or two. One will probably be enough but it's easier to take another out if it's too long than wreck stuff if it's too short.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bwstokie
    Ok thanks - too late I'd already done it and sat here thinking I'm sure that's wrong hence the question. Well back in the garage to bodge a couple of links back in :-(
  • cooldad
    Oops. I have a couple with multiple quick links.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bwstokie
    Me too now ;-)

Glad I asked, would have been a dear do had I not checked!

Mental note well and truly made.