Difficulty Unclipping SPD Peddles

akc42
akc42 Posts: 43
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I have spd peddles for a while now. As a beginner with them I turned the setting down to the loosest they would go so I could unclip without problems.

However, even after 6 or more months I am now still finding it difficult to unclip when I come to a halt. I feel I have to turn my heel out an aweful long way before it unclips, even feeling that even then it doesn't want to come out. It does of course, but I feel I have had to yank pretty hard. The whole thing feels sloppy.

I am nervous of tightening the adjustment - just because I believe I am at the easiest setting now, and tightening them might make it worse to the point I won't unclip at all.

So - what does tightening the adjustment do - would it for instance allow me unclip with less of an angle?

Could there be other reasons - like some hidden grit, or mud that is preventing the peddles from working properly

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you checked that the cleats are still tight?
    If they are loose they may be turning on the shoe and not in the pedal.
    They should be about 5nm which is pretty tight.

What shoes are they? If they have soft rubber soles they will have a bit of flex in them and that will make unclipping a bit less positive.

Guessing they are Shimano pedals? Do they have a platform. If they do is the shoe contacting with the platform too much?

Have lubed the spring/mechanism?
  • akc42
    Peddles are shimano M540's so no platform.

I don't think the cleats are moving, they are done up pretty tight and I can't see, having just looked at them closely any side of movement. The shoes are shimano mountain bike shoes, but the soles feel pretty hard.

I did fall into a mud bank a while back and the mud got into the peddles (and all around the cleats) but I think its all cleared off now. Maybe something has got stuck inside.
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    I think it's because you've got peddles, what you really need are pedals.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I have some M540s. Find them much better tighter, it's more of a quick snap sideways to get out rather than when they are loose. Try tightening them up a bunch and prop yourself up against a wall/turbo to test.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325

:lol:
  • akc42
    I suppose they are better than paddles :wink:
  • you can get light release spd pedals if you want easier release.
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Multi- position cleats SH56 might help as you can lift up sharply or turn these, giving you more escape routes :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Hi akc42, I've got M540s and still have them on loosest setting after a few years. I find it easy to unclip, but always unclip in plenty of time before I come to a halt. Are you panicing a bit trying to unclip after you have stopped?
  • Before you change anything soak the ones you have overnight in WD40.

I bet that will sort things.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Before you change anything soak the ones you have overnight in WD40.

Not sure what that will achieve - apart from removing all the grease from the bearings...
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    Where they brand new when you bought them? if they are second hand the cleats could be worn and need replacing. I find the shoe cleats go like yiu describe when they are heavily worn and feel like they have loads of float
  • akc42
    gazman428 wrote:
    Where they brand new when you bought them? if they are second hand the cleats could be worn and need replacing. I find the shoe cleats go like yiu describe when they are heavily worn and feel like they have loads of float

I am thinking this might be the issue, or possibly dried mud around the cleat. When I am cycling normally, I can rotate my foot (around the vertical axis) quite a lot. In otherwords there feels like lots of play in the cleat.

Before I went out on a ride today, I tightened each pedal up two clicks and it made a small improvement.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459

Funny guy, oh how I love the anonymity of a keyboard...
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    akc

Make sure you are twisting your foot out at the bottom of the stroke, that way you can twist your whole leg from the hip and not from the knee, which doesn't like to twist much.

Saying that, I had problems like yours with Shimano, changed to crank Bros which have quicker release cleats. Now using time mtb pedals for the better quality sealing and bearings.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Imposter wrote:
    Before you change anything soak the ones you have overnight in WD40.

Not sure what that will achieve - apart from removing all the grease from the bearings...
    It make the spring release work better. And, it doesn't get into the bearings. Just spray it on all over and leave it.

You didn't really think I meant put it in a bath of the stuff did you?
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    akc

Make sure you are twisting your foot out at the bottom of the stroke, that way you can twist your whole leg from the hip and not from the knee, which doesn't like to twist much.

Saying that, I had problems like yours with Shimano, changed to crank Bros which have quicker release cleats. Now using time mtb pedals for the better quality sealing and bearings.

I was going to suggest this, but as you've had your shimano pedals for 6months and therefore can't return them, I guessed you wouldn't want to fork out for new pedals when you'll probably get the hang of them eventually. But as someone else has now raised it... when I switched to clipless pedals I tried SPDs and couldn't unclip easily enough for my liking, even with the pedals loosened right off. Was going to just stick with platform pedals but someone suggested I tried the CrankBros eggbeaters and I'm so glad I did. They are so much easier, unclipping is a slightly different feeling and I found them so much easier to unclip from. I'd recommend them to anyone unsure about using clipless or anyone struggling with SPDs. Andrewjoseph does have a point about the seals though - if you go for eggbeaters be prepared to keep on top of maintaining them.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I am guessing your egg beaters haven't broken yet.

They will.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I am guessing your egg beaters haven't broken yet.

They will.

Ha, ha - I'm aware of the reliability reports on the eggbeaters, but no, got them on my MTB and road bike and still fine at the moment...... I'll let you know.... :)
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If you're looking at changing pedals I'd strongly recommend Speedplay which has no link between the retention force and unclipping force. Really comfortable pedals too!
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Trouble unclipping and feeling like you are going a long way? Stand on the floor barefoot. Relax and move around a little. Then stand still and look down at your feet. Where do they point?

Just want to check if (like me) you may be duck footed. If so I get on well with speedplay zeros.

If you are not duck footed, have you got the cleats straight?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    cattytown wrote:
    Trouble unclipping and feeling like you are going a long way? Stand on the floor barefoot. Relax and move around a little. Then stand still and look down at your feet. Where do they point?

Just want to check if (like me) you may be duck footed. If so I get on well with speedplay zeros.

If you are not duck footed, have you got the cleats straight?

Paul.

Surely, if you walk duck-footed all you need to do is attach cleats pointing inwards and you'll replicate the same foot angle whilst cycling as well...

If you find using SPDs difficult, you should probably stick to normal platform pedals.
  • cattytown
    Garry H wrote:
    Surely, if you walk duck-footed all you need to do is attach cleats pointing inwards and you'll replicate the same foot angle whilst cycling as well...

Depends how duck footed - many cleats there isn't the rotation available you can get with zeros. MTB style SPDs normally allow a little more twist when mounting than roadie clipless.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Garry H
    cattytown wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Depends how duck footed - many cleats there isn't the rotation available you can get with zeros. MTB style SPDs normally allow a little more twist when mounting than roadie clipless.
    I though the op was refering to spd rather than spd sl? They don't come any simpler thsn spd to use.
  • cattytown
    TBH I am never sure what people mean - I rarely depend upon the absence of -Sl as a definite indicator IYSWIM. For someone not knowing what they are doing all pedals and cleats can be set up badly.

The OP does not say where he is - if he lets us know it is possible one of us could take a look.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Garry H
    cattytown wrote:
    TBH I am never sure what people mean - I rarely depend upon the absence of -Sl as a definite indicator IYSWIM. For someone not knowing what they are doing all pedals and cleats can be set up badly.

The OP does not say where he is - if he lets us know it is possible one of us could take a look.

Paul.
    True,very true.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Nearly had a clipless moment the other day - pedals must have been in use for a couple of years (Shimano M324). They will most likely have been lubed in that time but I have ridden them all winter and certainly not lubed them since last summer - couldnt unclip my left leg when coming to a halt at T-junction and really pulled but it wouldnt come out - had to switch to uclipping with my right for the rest of the ride. Quick squirt of light lube when I got home and good as new again.