New Grips, whats out there ?

Pacha
Pacha Posts: 19
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'd like some new comfy grips for my Giant Anthem, the ones that came with it are ok, but today on a longish ride my hands where hurting a bit, have looked at the Superstar web site and their grips look nice, but not sure how comfy or how long they would last for ? can any of you nice people recommend me some comfy grips, and even better if they come in purple or lilac :lol:

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    DMR Loccd are very comfy - soft rubber and a deep tread pattern.
    Available in purple, too:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dmr ... p-ec035584
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Pacha wrote:
    have looked at the Superstar web site and their grips look nice, but not sure how comfy or how long they would last for ?

I have the Superstar Size Zeros currently. Comfy? Very. How long do they last for? The diamond pattern wears fairly rapidly, but the grip rubbers are available separately, and they're cheap enough to treat as consumables. I've got a pair of these to try too, which are the same pattern and rubber (the lcok on rings are interchangeable with Superstar ones), but a little narrower and slightly firmer, as the plastic sleeve doesn't have cutouts like on the Superstar ones (and they come in purple):

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view- ... ip-Builder
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ESI Chunkies are nice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I found Superstar grips don't last long at all.
    I use ODI Ruffians, nice grips and they last years.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    They should do, given what they charge for them.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I'm still running a pair of ODI Yeti, may cost abit more but last for ages and great grip in wet or dry.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Yep, ODI Ruffians, bit pricey but worth it for me.

If you wanna go cheap, On-One have some decent, cheap lock-ons. Don't expect them to last as long as Ruffians though
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Race Face Half Nelsons are sooooo comfy. Also run only one lockring which I prefer alot.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Pacha
    Pacha Posts: 19
    Thank you for all the suggestions, i will take a look at them all , don't mind paying for good quality, just do not want to buy stuff that's rubbish :)
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    What about foam grips - cheap, light and apparently comfy? There's a few fans on here who I'm sure will point to specific ones.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    benpinnick wrote:
    Race Face Half Nelsons are sooooo comfy. Also run only one lockring which I prefer alot.

Yet to try these but they get great reviews! I'm currently running some Easton lock ons that seem pretty good, and have the ESI grips Njee recommends which are also pretty nice. ODI Troy Lee's are also excellent.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Foam, KCNC/Avenir/Pork rinds (all the same except the logo) are great

Push on, Renthal Kevlar are the biz, super sticky yet super hard wearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Got some LBS branded Lizard Skin lock ons that are very, very good.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Got some LBS branded Lizard Skin lock ons that are very, very good.

+1 for the lizard skins, although I had a nukeproof set on my previous bike which were good too.