Wear resistant bibshorts?

nmcgann
nmcgann Posts: 1,780
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
My various old bibs (mostly Santini max from Prendas and 2-3 years old) are getting pretty worn so I have been trying to replace them, but am struggling with the Lycra currently being used wearing very quickly.

I have been through two sets of new-style Santinis (a pair of the max2s and a pair of the more expensive ones they sent as a replacement) and now also a pair of Sportful Giro where the Lycra surface scuffs up within a couple of rides - it's like a softer grade of material is now being used, it feels much softer than my old bibs so I can see the material is different.

My old bibs were a similar price point, but have done 100s of rides on road and turbo with no surface wear, so I know it isn't saddle issues or any other change apart from the material used.

Anyone else noticed a shift to softer Lycra and have suggestions of current bibs that are still wear resistant? (Up to the £75-ish price point)
--
"Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My Assos have taken a pounding and are still going...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Grill wrote:
    My Assos have taken a pounding and are still going...

+1 Not quite as black they once were but still going strong too
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Grill wrote:
    My Ass have taken a pounding and are still going...

:lol:

Sorry, could resist :lol:
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Grill
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    My Ass has taken a pounding and is still going...

FTFY
    If you're going to take the piss, then at least use proper grammar. :P
  • DiscoBoy
    Grill wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    My Ass has taken a pounding and is still going...

FTFY
    If you're going to take the wee-wee, then at least use proper grammar. :P

You mean that you don't have more than one ass? :shock:
  • Grill
    If only... :(
  • DiscoBoy
    Grill wrote:

I wished that I had my spare with me today... My new Fizik Ardea did not agree with the one I had fitted...

Anyway, on topic, I don't know of any super long-lasting bibs, but avoid Castelli: they have a reputation for not lasting very well.

DHB might be worth a go because their bibs are good, seem to last pretty well, and in any case you can replace them twice as often as Assos.

RH+ also last pretty well, but can be tricky to get hold of.
  • Grill
    My Castelli bibs have been great. Then again they're Body Paints so I can't really comment on their cheaper stuff.
  • nmcgann
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I wished that I had my spare with me today... My new Fizik Ardea did not agree with the one I had fitted...

Anyway, on topic, I don't know of any super long-lasting bibs, but avoid Castelli: they have a reputation for not lasting very well.

DHB might be worth a go because their bibs are good, seem to last pretty well, and in any case you can replace them twice as often as Assos.

RH+ also last pretty well, but can be tricky to get hold of.
    One of my old pairs are dhb. They don't fit as well as the Santinis (leg grippers are a bit slack and the pad isn't as good) but they have worn well. Maybe I'll try the latest version and see if the fit has improved.
    --
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Try Cervo Rosso...http://www.cervorosso.com/index.php?sec ... op&catId=8

The comfiest shorts I've ever worn (including Assos). The Mk3 has an abrasion resistant seat which is much tougher than normal lycra. You'll get 15% off using code AP201312 at checkout.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Rapha classic bibs. If they wear out too soon they will replace them. You also have a month to use them and return them if you aren't satisfied. Worth the money and in a different league to Santini.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I don't have problems with Lycra wear and I don't use high dollar shorts or bibs. One thing I do recall from a few years past is that I was riding with my saddle to far back in the seat post clamp and the clamp itself would tend to rub on the shorts. This caused a bit of tearing until a new more setback seat post arrived.
    For the record I don't use the really cheap stuff but neither do I spend 300 dollars on a pair of shorts and I get by just fine. :?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you happen to be xl sized and can stretch your budget a bit, Assos f-13_S5 bibs are by far the longest lasting I've had. They have a 'patch' on the saddle contact area which appears to be much hardier than the normal lycra. They also happen to be the most comfortable I have tried! Unfortunately they are being discontinued for Assos new range of shorts - the link below is for xl only (unless you fancy white!).

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ssozbbs360

Peter
  • nmcgann
    Rapha classic bibs. If they wear out too soon they will replace them. You also have a month to use them and return them if you aren't satisfied. Worth the money and in a different league to Santini.
    Not really practical at that price given I have 4-5 pairs of bibs that need replacing :?
    --
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    northpole wrote:
    If you happen to be xl sized and can stretch your budget a bit, Assos f-13_S5 bibs are by far the longest lasting I've had. They have a 'patch' on the saddle contact area which appears to be much hardier than the normal lycra. They also happen to be the most comfortable I have tried! Unfortunately they are being discontinued for Assos new range of shorts - the link below is for xl only (unless you fancy white!).

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ssozbbs360

Peter

The s2 aren't bad either, and because theyre the 'old' 'old' version they are now an even cheaper option, only x-large+ sizes available though http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-pro-bib-short-s2-1991.html

The s5s are here too in all sizes http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-fi-13-s5-black.html