Radio 4 Today Program : Friday morning

andyrr
andyrr Posts: 1,819
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Not sure if anyone caught the Today program on Radio 4 this morning : around 7:45 there as a piece on handmade / bespoked bike builders. I'd driven to work this morning but had to actually exit the car before the end of it.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It was the standard 3 minute Today item. Presenter talks to bloke, both make agreeable conversation on the subject in hand, there's a small joke near the end and a gasp at the price of handmade frames - £3000? How much??? - then off to Thought For The Day. Vaguely interesting but no more so than your walk from car to office. You didn't miss much, unless I did.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes I heard it too, but wasn't minded to post on here about it, I agree with the above, just a general interest piece spun to somehow say that the UK bicycle industry is in a resurgence. They almost mentioned 'MAMIL' but steered away at the last moment!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    yes i caught that
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Cycling is the new golf for the middle aged male....apparently.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I only caught the first bit but thought it might be interesting if it went on to have a little more discussion over why it was that handbuilt, more traditional, frames were coming back in vogue but it sounds like it didn't have a lot of interesting content. Oh well.
  • andyrr wrote:
    I only caught the first bit but thought it might be interesting if it went on to have a little more discussion over why it was that handbuilt, more traditional, frames were coming back in vogue but it sounds like it didn't have a lot of interesting content. Oh well.
    Pretty much sums up R4. Give a subject 2-3 minutes, regardless of its triviality or importance, and then talk all over it or dumb it down altogether.
    Hey, they do this with the Middle East peace process, why would bikes fare any better?
    I'm off to write to my MP <disgusted of Bikeradar>
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    andyrr wrote:
    Pretty much sums up R4. Give a subject 2-3 minutes, regardless of its triviality or importance, and then talk all over it or dumb it down altogether.
    Hey, they do this with the Middle East peace process, why would bikes fare any better?
    R4 has gone way downhill in the last few years, it is either crap Archers or crap drama or crap story about how bad x is for your health. Luckily there are still 3 or 4 great programs like In Our Time. Always thought the Today program was ok though, you get proper interviews with politicians, much better than the TV or anything else at that time.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    nathancom wrote:
    andyrr wrote:
    R4 has gone way downhill in the last few years, it is either crap Archers or crap drama or crap story about how bad x is for your health. Luckily there are still 3 or 4 great programs like In Our Time. Always thought the Today program was ok though, you get proper interviews with politicians, much better than the TV or anything else at that time.

More or Less is one of the few news programmes worth listening to on R4 these days.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    More or Less is brilliant!

I love R4, but if you enjoy really good, varied radio, I recommend This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/
  • nathancom wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

Crap Archers-how dare you criticise the inhabitants of Ambridge! I've been listening to the Archers for years and while it often is crap it remains a constant in a world of change...
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    antfly wrote:
    Cycling is the new golf for the middle aged male....apparently.

I was quick to seize on that quote to tease some golfist friends. "Of course, golf will remain popular with the elderly" I reminded them. :lol:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • nathancom
    More or Less is brilliant!

I love R4, but if you enjoy really good, varied radio, I recommend This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/
    Another +1 for More or Less. I will try thisamericanlife, there is only so much Moral Maze or You and Yours that I can handle.

There was a great series recently on the history of disability over the centuries, it was really fascinating.
  • nathancom
    nathancom wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

Crap Archers-how dare you criticise the inhabitants of Ambridge! I've been listening to the Archers for years and while it often is crap it remains a constant in a world of change...
    Apologies but personally I am waiting for a tsunami to hit Ambridge...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I listened to the today programme this morning on the way to work, and yet now I can't remember a single thing about it, strange!

I do like Radio 4 but I do think it's rather elitist, it seems to have a particular obsession with religion, and almost as much with 'the arts'. Neither of which most people could give two hoots about.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    the thing I hate most about R4 today program is the relentless trainspotting geeky attitude to westminster village politics; who is up, who is down, is this a leadership challenge, should it e a leadership challenge, why isnt it a leadership challenge. they can ask question after follow-up question on this topic.
    During the final 3 mins of interesting topic (anything sciency for example) , they have to hurry along because they have run out of time.