am7
am7 Posts: 59
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I need a free app which is able to display:
1) heart rate
2) speed
3 cadence
during the workout using my Bluetooth sensors.

In the past I have used sportstracker and endomondo. Sportstracker would lose signal and destroy my runs. Endomondo does not support cadence so has to go.

I have tried cyclemeter and roadbike which appear to be free until you try to add the sensor then they become paid.

Strava does not seem to display heart rate, speed or cadence during the workout. Is this true?

Mapmyride looks promising but cannot test yet. Anyone knows?

Please tell me there is an app for my needs. Am I missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    am7 wrote:
    Strava does not seem to display heart rate, speed or cadence during the workout. Is this true?

No.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You have bought Bluetooth sensors yet don't want to spend a few pounds on an app that will talk to them. Why not?

You didn't expect someone to make your sensors for nothing so why do you think someone should spend ages writing, refining and upgrading these apps for no reward?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • am7
    I will re-check strava but not holding my breath, I am only seeing time/distance/average speed but the sensors are not connected and I do not see an option where I could customize the screen. Hope to be proven wrong.

I have tons of apps on my iPhone and I haven't paid for any of them (yet). Most are bugging me to upgrade and have loads of annoying ads so I'm sure they make their money somehow.

I only want a heart rate/speed/cadence reading along with the usual distance/max & average speed/elevation gain/etc. etc. For features like making friends, taking pictures, seeing who is faster on a particular bit of road, how many burgers I've burned and how many times I have been to the moon they are free to charge anything they want (no pun intended).
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    I don't think you'll find any that meet your requirements which are free.

Strava Premium shows HR etc, but of course it's not free.
  • markhewitt1978
    but the sensors are not connected

Well then that's your issue! You need to get the sensors connected, once they are the data will appear on the Strava ride recording screen.

Also check out the Wahoo app.
  • am7
    Just checked the wahoo app without the sensors and looks to have everything I need. I will report tonight when I get my hands on the bike, also eager to re-check strava as there is a difference on opinion whether it displays what I need or not.
  • am7
    Ok strava does not show speed or cadence (couldn't bother to connect the heart rate sensor). Must be the paid version or people are telling porkies or I'm just not clever enough to configure it. I can see the cadence reading in tiny letters if I click on the sensor info so it is definitely working just you can only have time/distance/average speed showing nothing else.

Mapmyride seems it can only show one or two on the same screen, not sure if you can select which two but I do not think it is possible to show all three plus others, however mapmyride was unusable. Without pedalling cadence would stay at last reading without ever dropping, speed was all over the place even without pedalling basically it just does not work, no such problems with the other apps.

Then I tried wahoo as a last resort. Everything works as it should:)
    All sensors are go, beautiful screen with large numbers speed, cadence, heart rate all in correct place plus other info, swipe screen for max speed/heart rate etc., swipe for map, no bloody ads, works perfectly zeroing out speed/cadence when I stop.
    I only tried on the stand but will take tomorrow for a spin definitely sounds promising. I can't believe how many useless apps are out there?
    If there's another good app let me know. Cheers.

Funny thing the cateye computer I had many many years ago was more accurate, speed sensor wired to front tyre (would measure even as you turn or when you lock up the rear), cadence sensor wired to crank, display was instant no long Bluetooth lag, battery would go for years not hours, sometimes old stuff is not as bad as one might think.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    See, if people bothered their arses to get a garmin or similar instead of using an iPhone non of this would happen.

And before anyone tries to use cost as an excuse

Iphone/android phone £600 (hidden in contract or just one off payment)

Garmin edge 500 with hrm and cadence £180

There is a reason why one is a phone and the other is a dedicated cycling gps
  • markhewitt1978
    But the difference is I already have an iphone I didn't get it for cycling so using it for cycling is essentially free.
  • smoggysteve
    But the difference is I already have an iphone I didn't get it for cycling so using it for cycling is essentially free.

So don't be surprised by the iphones limitations for what you want.
  • markhewitt1978
    I've been using it for cycling for 2 years now so I'm well aware of it's capabilities :D
  • smoggysteve
    If you had a samsung galaxy s4 you could have ant+ cadence and hrm along with speed, distance etc but the iphone just dont cut it dude