Broken SKS Mudguards

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
There was a product recall on these, I'm not sure of the nature of the problem but I do remember the problem was fixed by July 2012 (I bought my guards in the October from Wiggle).

Now they've done this which for 18 months of use isn't great

2014-04-08%2009.22.46.jpg

After reading on here how good SKS were about after sales support I thought I might email them, hoping for a replacement. Nothing yet, am I hoping too much? What shall I replace them with otherwise (long guards for skinny road tyres)?

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I put a set on my Pompetamine. Kept on breaking around the same place as yours, and I kept on sticking them together. I now run with a set of Tortec 'guards. File under "anecdote"
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Recall was on Raceblades. These look like Chromoplastics. 18 months means nothing, how many miles?
  • folsom1
    folsom1 Posts: 24
    Mine cracked in the same place after 6 months...about 1000 miles of London commuting. SKS replied quickly but it took about 2 months for the replacement to get here, and they sent the wrong one. Easier to buy a new one!
  • craker
    Ck101 wrote:
    18 months means nothing, how many miles?

I think I'd expect it to last as long as any other bit of the bike, 30 years+ on that bike. I've got raceblades on another bike, lots of use and more or less intact.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Mine broke in the about the same place and under the clip, so a whole section was just missing one day when I went to my bike. I thought someone had nicked it!
    It was only a few weeks later when I had my kid's bike seat on the back that I noticed that the seat was bouncing onto the mudguard when riding and that was probably what cracked it.

I can't really see how yours would break there as surely there isn't any force on that bit - sounds like a manufacturing fault to me.
  • DrLex
    BigMonka wrote:
    [...]

I can't really see how yours would break there as surely there isn't any force on that bit - sounds like a manufacturing fault to me.
    I'm no engineer, but since it's almost midpoint between attachments, I'd put it down to vibration & flex. I'll need another year of riding my Pomp. before I can fully compare the longevity of the Tortec 'guard, but if I was installing SKS guards, I'd try & bodge an extra stay at the 12 o'clock position.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    mine have recently broken in the same place but given these have been on the bike for 3 years and probably 18,000 or so miles I'm ok with that. I also seem to recall they were free (replacement from SKS for a previous set that had failed), so even better.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mine lasted this winter only, so from about September to February. The quick release broke first, I fixed this myself with something more permanent but eventually it sheared apart like yours.

Overall they are useless compared with Crud MKII. They can't cope with bad roads and cost much more. Similar has happened to the other people I know who use them. Either the clips fail or they snap.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Mine always break there as well. I've repaired them on numerous occasions with araldite and duct tape without much success. My recent repair is holding up really well - applied all weather duct tape that I then gently warmed with a heat gun. Makes the duct tape nice and tight and seems to be holding up real well. Of course, I shouldn't have to repair them but nothing else fits ...
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • craker
    Well SKS did reply. My guards are not the ones subject to a recall and when pushed for a reason they broke, it was suggested that...
    "I noticed from your pictures that you didn’t used the plastic endcaps.
    The endcaps gives hold to the endcaps. This could be the reason why the stays snapped off from the fixations.
    "

I think she means the rubber grommets that stop you poking yourself on uncut stays.

Ah well, try a different brand then.
  • DrLex
    Interesting cause and effect logic there!
    For longevity, the cheap plastic Zefal guards fitted at the time of purchase of my 1988 Saracen are still going strong, else Tortec as mentioned prior.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    craker wrote:
    Well SKS did reply. My guards are not the ones subject to a recall and when pushed for a reason they broke, it was suggested that...
    "I noticed from your pictures that you didn’t used the plastic endcaps.
    The endcaps gives hold to the endcaps. This could be the reason why the stays snapped off from the fixations.
    "

I think she means the rubber grommets that stop you poking yourself on uncut stays.

Ah well, try a different brand then.

I think you should ask for an explanation in English that actually makes sense. ie not a dodgy Babelfish type translation.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • craker
    As an update... they've just agreed to replace them :D

Make of it what you will forumites...
  • I had a pair of the SKS commuter guards and they cracked in the same place after about 6 weeks or so of commuting (which, given their name, you would have thought might have been in their design brief...). It was too far to travel again to the shop I bought them from so I just put it down to experience and bought some Tortec mudguards that have performed flawlessly ever since. Guess what guards also on my newest bike??? :D
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've had the SKS's on my fixed for the last 5 years without any issues. Difference with mine is the guards are directly bolted to the brake bridge and chainstay bridge, so this eliminates some of the flex.
  • craker
    Say what you like about the quality of the product (given the opinions here that is questionable) I'm pretty pleased with their customer support.... A new set of guards turned up direct from the manufacturer today. Didn't expect any response at all in truth.

Echo what others have said, they need to be properly supported as they will fracture if allowed to flex too much.