Problem with new disks for DVD recorder.

andyrr
andyrr Posts: 1,819
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
I've looked around for assistance with this issue but so far hit a blank.
Using a DVD recorder for playing pre-recorded DVDs and recording stuff from the satellite, ie cycling. IIRC it is a Sony machine.
After having a number of machines in the past that worked for around 12 - 18 months and then gave up I bought a more expensive one around 4 years ago and it has worked really well and this cycling season I have already recorded, onto previously used disks, a few races. I reformat the disk before use and get 6hrs onto it.
BUT having run out of unused blank disks I bought a pack of TDK ones in Morrisons - I normally just buy whatever I can cheaply get my hands on, sometimes they are big brands, sometimes not but they work fine.
Disks are DVD +RW format
The machine will auto-format a new disk 1st time it is inserted - these new ones throw an error after about 10 seconds of attempted formatting. Duff disks maybe ? Bought Tesco own-brand ones last night, tried these - same result.
Tried my father-in-law's DVD recorder - different brand - similar result,he has to request a disk is formatted but these 2 sets of disks fail to format.

Has the something about new blank disks changed in some way ?
I can still format previously recorded disks on this machine and I tried 1 of the new TDK disks in my PC and it burnt files to it.

I could go through my back catalogue of races and just re-use old disks but it would be nice to know whether the issue is with the machine or the disks.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    The list of possible discs are as follows:

DVD +R
    DVD -R
    DVD R
    DVD RW
    DVD +RW
    DVD -RW

Your machine probably only is compatible with one of the above. Our Toshiba takes + or -. The manual should tell you exactly which one it takes and if you haven't got the manual, product/customer support will tell you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Checked the manual and it seems compatible with them all but it's been +RWs I've used all along so something isn't right now.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Compatibility issues are quite common, even when you have the right type of disc. Can you get hold of some new discs that are identical to those you've used previously? Might be worth ordering online, where you have more choice than the local supermarkets. But note that sometimes different discs are sold under the same branding - this tool will tell you the actual manufacturer, rather than the one on the label:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

If you routinely wipe your discs when you've watched them, it might be worth investing in a hard disk PVR.