• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    1 link won't matter.
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    Cheers
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I'd be surprised if a shimano joining pin wouldn't work on a kmc chain. But as mentioned, it should be ok. Probably best to avoid getting onto the bigger sprockets whilst on the big ring though, just to be on the safe side.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if a shimano joining pin wouldn't work on a kmc chain. But as mentioned, it should be ok. Probably best to avoid getting onto the bigger sprockets whilst on the big ring though, just to be on the safe side.

It's one link and really the only logical thing to do is to fit it and try it. Unless you are pushing the limits of the rear mech, the chances are that it isn't going to matter if it is one link too long or too short. And if it is too short, then you just need to splice in another link using second quick link.

Avoiding certain combinations just through fear of the chain being too short isn't really the right answer!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,045
    Rolf F wrote:
    Jon_1976 wrote:

It's one link and really the only logical thing to do is to fit it and try it. Unless you are pushing the limits of the rear mech, the chances are that it isn't going to matter if it is one link too long or too short. And if it is too short, then you just need to splice in another link using second quick link.

Avoiding certain combinations just through fear of the chain being too short isn't really the right answer!

Yeah I ran a chain with 2 quicklinks no problem if it is an issue.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Try it on the workstand, big ring at the front, biggest sprocket at the back. If there is still a tiny bit of slack in the chain that is taken up by the rear mech spring then it is fine.

If it won't shift big-big or the chain jams then add 1 or 2 links back in with removable links. (Or just start again with a new chain- they aren't usually expensive)
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I did this on my winter bike as I went from a compact with a 11-25 to a 12-28 for hills. Only really got tight on the rear mech if I put it in both big rings which realistically you shouldn't be doing anyway. So long as you know not to go big front and rear together you will be fine.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    ...So long as you know not to go big front and rear together you will be fine.
    Rolf F wrote:

I agree with Rolf.
  • smoggysteve
    One link is not going to cause a problem. It will be very noisy and not very smooth but its not going to suddenly snap youe rear mech. Stop making things sound like they are such a big issue
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I did the manchester 100 years ago and the chain went, managed to get to a mechanic who put about 3 quick links in the chain - they have been there for about 2 years now and haven't given me any grief
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    One link is not going to cause a problem. It will be very noisy and not very smooth but its not going to suddenly snap youe rear mech. Stop making things sound like they are such a big issue

If your chain is already relatively short then losing another link could be enough to jam the chain between the big ring and the front mech damaging the latter. I know, I've come close to it - as it was it was pretty difficult managing to free the chain up. It's all very well saying 'avoid such and such a combination' but people just don't do it - not 100% of the time. There's always going to be times when you aren't in the gear you thought you were and you end up with crossed chains whether you believe you do or not.

Stop making it sound like adding an extra link is such a big issue. :wink:

PS - one link too short was neither noisy nor unsmooth. If it had been, I'd have noticed......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • smoggysteve
    edhornby wrote:
    I did the manchester 100 years ago and the chain went, managed to get to a mechanic who put about 3 quick links in the chain - they have been there for about 2 years now and haven't given me any grief

Wow, how old are you to be still cycling over 100 years later? ;-)
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    Cheers

Fitted the chain

Working fine