Campag UT cups into a titanium Colnago BB?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Should any grease or some other thread prep be used when using alu Campag cups in a ti bottom bracket? As the BB is an Italian thread I also need to prevent the drive side cup from unscrewing.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Don't worry just use some copper slip, I use that on all my BB's and never had one under or seize.

HTH
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I have an italian BB and never had problems with loose cups... UT has hardly any drag, so I don't see why the cups should come loose. Copper paste and happy days
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a titanium Colnago fitted with Ultratorque cranks - the cups come pre-prepped with suitable thread locking compound - simply torque them to the required spec and away you go. If installing new ones, use a medium grade Loctite like 248 - it's an anti-seize too. The cups are anodised so shouldn't create any problems due to corrosion .
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • papavero
    papavero Posts: 57
    Titanium is horrible stuff to work with, you certainly need something on the threads to reduce the risk of it binding
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I installed new Italian cups on my steel Pegoretti and the drive side cup did unscrew. I had to put Loctite on it. Is Copperslip a kind of grease?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Coppaslip is an anti-seize. However, for Italian threaded BBs because of the inclination of the drive side cup to to unscrew, medium-grade Loctite is a better solution IMO - particularly as the Loctite acts as an anti-seize anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..