Need help with front brakes on my boardman mtb

Karlos4
Karlos4 Posts: 6
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I have a boardman comp mtb and last nite I removed the front wheel to clean it then when I refitted the wheel I had no brake lever pressure at all, the lever pulls all the way back with hardly any stopping of the wheel.
I'm all new to this so what have I done to make this happen?
Thanks karl
Ps hi all this is my first post 8)

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Have you pushed the piston back as if you have somehow done that you will have to pump the lever until brake feel comes back. If your brake is mechanical then the problem is different.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the brakes are?

Or what Boardman MTB? Year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Karlos4
    Brakes are hydraulic
    Model 2011
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    They will be Avid Elixir 1s if it's a 2011 Comp.

Inspect the lever, hose, and caliper for any leaks of fluid. Did the brake lever get compressed when the wheel was out? And does the pressure return in the brake if you continually pump it for 20-30 secs?
  • Karlos4
    Yeah lever did get compressed while wheel was off and I've just tried pumping brake lever 30 odd times but still no feel
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    By the sounds of it, the pistons have pushed out (towards the disc rotor) further than they should be which is why you now have no pressure as you have the same volume of fluid occupying a larger space inside the system. You will need to do the following:

1. Remove the wheel and slide a spacer (ideally plastic) between the pads.
    2. Pull on the brake lever relatively hard and hold for a few seconds about 5 times.
    3. Replace the wheel and pump the brake, it should have reverted back to normal.

Be sure to do all of the above with the bike the right way up. You ideally want a spacer that is a tight fit so the pads have something to push against, this in turn should make the gap between the pads wider meaning that the pistons have moved back into the calliper.

Good luck!
  • Karlos4
    Thanks for your reply I will try it before I go to bed,I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Karlos4
    Yeah tried like you said still no pressure on brake lever,must be a leak or something,
    Looks like a trip to my local bike shop tomorrow as I need bike ready for Sunday
    Thanks for trying oxocube anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oxocube1 wrote:
    By the sounds of it, the pistons have pushed out (towards the disc rotor) further than they should be which is why you now have no pressure as you have the same volume of fluid occupying a larger space inside the system. !
    Which would beg the question how did he get the disc back in the now narrower space - sorry your explanation is a fail.

I would start by pushing the pistons all the way back and then trying to pump them out, it's possible they came out a bit to far if the pads are well worn and you leaked some fluid so you'll need to follow the bleed process to refill and may need new pads and to clean the disc if the fluid got on them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    ^^ This