bar and stem length ?

ali266
ali266 Posts: 41
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
At the moment I am trying to build up a kind of all mountain hardtail. I have 660mm wide bars and 70mm stem. Will I notice an improvement if I swap to 700mm bars and a 60mm stem? Bearing in mind the bike still has to be able to climb well

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Try what you have. If you don't like it, change it.
    Bar and stem set up is very personal.
    Personally I like 780mm bars and 50mm stem.
  • ali266
    ali266 Posts: 41
    Try what you have. If you don't like it, change it.
    Bar and stem set up is very personal.
    Personally I like 780mm bars and 50mm stem.
    I'm definitely getting the 700mm bar. Do you think I will need a shorter stem to compliment the wider bar?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends on you and the bike. No one can tell you.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I run a 711mm carbon haven attached to a 55mm haven stem - I like it other people don't.

70mm stem isn't a bad length - my bro inlaw has one with a 685mm bar. sit on the bike and move your hands further out from the ends and see how it feels. obviously don't try and ride like that but it should give you an idea how wider bars feel. if you move your hands out and you feel too far forward then you need to get a shorter stem.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Quite clearly what you need is a 35mm stem and a 915mm wide Superstar Yardstick.

On a more serious note, what the others have said, try it out and see. Personally I'd go for a bar around 750mm and keep cutting it down til it feels comfy. You can make a wide bar narrower but not the other way round.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've recently joined the ranks of the fashionistas with some 710mm bars, paired with a 90mm stem, which personally I think is very short!

Personal innit. Must say, they do feel very wide to me, I'd not long graduated from 600s!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    ali266 wrote:
    Bearing in mind the bike still has to be able to climb well

Get a 120/130mm stem angled downwards, sub 600mm bars and some bar ends.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    njee20 wrote:
    I've recently joined the ranks of the fashionistas with some 710mm bars, paired with a 90mm stem, which personally I think is very short!

Fashionistas from ten years ago?
  • njee20
    >700mm bars for anything other than DH racing is a very recent trend.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    njee20 wrote:

This. It's only really been the last 3-4 years since wide bars became the norm on most bikes.
  • Kowalski675
    lawman wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

This. It's only really been the last 3-4 years since wide bars became the norm on most bikes.

But 710 isn't wide. It's narrow by current trends, and only slightly wider than the OE bars my 2007 Kraken came with (which felt just as too narrow then as they would now, if they were still on the bike, rather than discarded in a box).
  • morepower
    morepower Posts: 140
    I now run a Crank Bros Iodine 3 bar which is 700mm wide with a Crank Bros Cobalt 90mm stem. It replaced a Race Face set up which was a ride bar and stem in 680mm wide and 60mm long flavours. I used the new combo for the first time today and have to say it felt great. I actually prefer it to the old Race face set up..... The bar does feel wide to me as I was used to a bar which was a LOT narrower and felt very direct but was not as comfortable as the wider bars. For me the 700 mm wide and 90mm stem is the ideal set up.....
  • Kowalski675
    When i bought my Boardman the 680mm bars just felt awful (to me). Far too narrow. Close your eyes and put your hands where they naturally wanted to sit and your hands were half on the bars and half off in fresh air. It felt like sitting on an old biddy's shopping bike, I kept expecting someone to hang a wicker basket on the front. I don't have wide shoulders, but my 740mm Spanks feel bang on to me - do the same eyes closed test and your hands just fall naturally on the grips. Maybe it's from years of riding with similarly sized Renthals and Rizomas.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I went out tonight with 600mm bars and a 105 stem! Was amazing fun!
  • njee20
    No, you can't have fun like that.

10 years ago I was riding 560mm bars and a 100mm stem. There wasn't room to fit all the controls on the bars - the hose connector for the brakes overlapped. Mental!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is where that extra 40mm comes in handy ;)
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    supersonic wrote:
    I went out tonight with 600mm bars and a 105 stem! Was amazing fun!

Bar ends???