Carreras Zelos vs Triban 3

Joe767
Joe767 Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi guy, first post here, hoping you can help me out!

I have been getting into cycling a bit more the last few months and, getting fed up with riding my mountain bike on the roads, I have decided to go and buy my self a proper road bike.

I have spent a week or so researching and have come up with several choices;

Carrera Zelos 2014 ltd (£250): http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65710#tab1

Triban 3 (£300): http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-roa ... 39800.html

Genesis Volant 00 (£400 offer with carbon forks): http://www.handsomebicycles.com/genesis-volant-00/

I wonder if you could advise me which one you would think is better, or if you know of another, better road bike for under £400.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The Genesis is the one I would get, better buy all round IMO.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/101193/pr ... black.aspx bit more again but comes with SPDSL pedals and full Tiagra groupset.
  • i have a triban 3 ,the red one .cracking bike and can be had for £250 depending on what sizes are left.
  • Joe767
    First of all, thanks for your replies.

The Moda, as shown in your link, does look a very nice bike, but it is more money and I won't have a chance to try it as my nearest shop don't have them... Is trying the bike a really important thing or is the sizing more of an importance? I apologise for me being a noob here, but is there a considerable difference between the Modal and Genesis? Thanks
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Joe767 wrote:

The Moda, as shown in your link, does look a very nice bike, but it is more money and I won't have a chance to try it as my nearest shop don't have them... Is trying the bike a really important thing or is the sizing more of an importance? I apologise for me being a noob here, but is there a considerable difference between the Modal and Genesis? Thanks

Have you thought about other things you may need too? Helmet, shorts/bibs, pump, saddle bag, in get tube, repair kit etc...

The triban gets great reviews, although I think all the ones with the carbon forks have possibly sold.

I haven't tried any bikes I have owned.

Here is another option, that spec wise, is better than any above...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-pinerolo-al-zr-2013/
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Is it worth looking at a Carrera Virtuoso? I have one, I quite like it. I've done 1000 miles on it so far and once you replace the tyres its a much nicer bike for the money. I think I looked at the Zelos and the Virtuoso was a much better spec for the money. I would say you need to try the bike, to find if it fits properly! IIRC I purchased one more accessory for it (hump cover or something) and they threw in two more things for free.

I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a better bike, but I think I've realised it's not worth it, I think the Virtuoso will do me for a far few years yet until I 'need' a carbon bike. If your local store has a Zelos, they should have the Virtuoso in stock to try out. See if they will let you use a turbo trainer perhaps (with the front wheel on a mount) to get a good feel without having to take it on the road. I think the medium is a 51" (5'2 to 5'9 riders) and large is for 5'9 up. I've not seen many bikes that are as good as the Virtuoso for under £400. The Moda is very slightly better spec (brakes, and it's 500g lighter) but it is £70 more. Hope that helps!
    Rule #65 // Maintain and respect your machine.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    edited April 2014
    Edited...
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Joe767
    KevChallis wrote:
    Joe767 wrote:

Have you thought about other things you may need too? Helmet, shorts/bibs, pump, saddle bag, in get tube, repair kit etc...

The triban gets great reviews, although I think all the ones with the carbon forks have possibly sold.

I haven't tried any bikes I have owned.

Here is another option, that spec wise, is better than any above...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mekk-pinerolo-al-zr-2013/

Cheers for the advice. Thankfully I already have most of the necessities, other than a decent bike that is! :wink:

The Mekk certainly does look a nice bike, and having found a quick review, it reviews pretty good as well.

As further mentioned, the virtuoso is a good looking bike, and I would have the ability to test..
    Rather stuck between some nice bikes here, thanks for all the help guys!
  • I have just gone for the meek poggio 1.5 from wiggle. After starting looking at the Mekk Pinerollo then went to the Felt, then Jamis I came back to Mekk. The reason I was swithering was the price reductions and was it ever really that price was one thought much like the Jamis which is exclusive to Evans. All the reviews were good for Mekk but needed was that press because its british and who are behind the bike (lot of friends). Not many out there and forums only really told me the spec was good value. So twitter and Facebook and Mekk getting good feedback from owners.

The 2014 is out there now being promoted hence the bikes drop in price it has to be supported by Mekk to get the price where it is across the range. They must have built this into their figures launching new company. Have just signed deals in several other countries now and with Paligap in the UK the brand is going somewhere and this has to be built on the quality of their bikes so plumbed for the poggio. As far as I can see this was never at the rrp it has always been discounted £999, £899, £799 (still with Jejames), £699 on several sites and £675 with wiggle. So there is £125 price difference between two retailers at the moment tells me the £675 is a bargain.

I know this is not the bike your looking at but my budget started in the same range with the pinerollo with additional budget for buying additional things, pedals, shoes etc. So I have put all my budget into the bike as a longer term plan, will fleebay some bargain basement additions.

My point is if you can forgo some extra items to upgrade the bike do it. If Mekk was in your thoughts then go back and look a it google paligap, google their press releases head to their Facebook and twitter pages and this will give you some confidence in the brand.

Heck I have got a full carbon with decent reviews that is £125 cheaper than most places and was nearly a £1000 8 months ago. That is a bargain.
  • dilatory
    edited April 2014
    carbineacs wrote:
    The Moda is very slightly better spec (brakes, and it's 500g lighter)

It's 10spd vs 8spd, is full Tiagra vs Sora, comes with free SPD-SL pedals, and it's over 1kg lighter. Quite a lot better I'd say.
  • Yeah just checked the spec myself. Moda is a lot better, you're right.
    Rule #65 // Maintain and respect your machine.
  • dilatory
    Sorry, didn't mean to sound dickish, just didn't want to mislead the chap. I picked up a Virtuoso at the end of the year second hand (was immaculate and cost me £125). It's a decent bike and has eaten up these rotten winter roads with minimal problems.