Wheel problems

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Iv got a set of Aksiums on my bike and the front recently went out of true, I had it done at my lbs and was fine for a ride but now only 30miles or so later it's gone again!! What am I doing to it?

My weight is about 85kg could it be to do with that?
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• BillyImp
    BillyImp Posts: 130
    Sounds strange, I've had two sets of aksiums and never had any problems. The first set I did a couple of fully loaded tours on and they barely went out of true at all. Second set has got about 8,000 miles on them and no issues yet.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You need more tension in those spokes... front Mavic 100 KgF or thereabout
    left the forum March 2023
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Thanks guys

It's nothing to do with over tightening the front quick release bolt is it?

Ugo do I just need to tell the lbs that I need the spoke tension upping and they'll do the rest?
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Joeblack wrote:
    Thanks guys

It's nothing to do with over tightening the front quick release bolt is it?

Ugo do I just need to tell the lbs that I need the spoke tension upping and they'll do the rest?

No and yes
    left the forum March 2023
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Heard of Aksiums having the threads poorly machined meaning they never really tighten up right. Probably a 1-100 chance. Also problem existed on Cosmics. Put me of all Mavic wheels for life knowing that.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    it's unusual for a front wheel to have a problem due to an weighty rider and poor roads

The most likely explanation is bike shop competence, followed by a manufacturing defect

Akisums are strong wheels according to most people