Fox RP2 vs RP23 propedal

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay, so I've had a couple of RP2s and a couple of RP23s. I really like being able to dial in a lot of propedal for fireroad/road climbs because the bob annoys me. I've got a new frame with an RP23 on it, and I just can't tell any difference between propedal on and off, same as the last one I had. However I found the couple of RP2s I had to be excellent. Am I nuts or something? Surely the RP23 should be better? I literally cannot tell any difference with propedal on 3 (firmest). I might just get another RP2, this RP23 is awful...
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    which frame ?

Must admit i did find the same on my Spesh frame. Push tuning sorted it out.
  • ilovedirt
    Gone from a reign x with RP2 to Orange Alpine with RP23. I'm aware that the orange won't pedal as well, but I could feel the RP2 firm up with the propedal when i just pushed down on the seat.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    get it pushed.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Does it have a floppy lever?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    junk the fox and get a decent shock for the rear of your scaffold bike lol

you should be able to feel a difference in compression damping between on/off - I take it the bike was second hand? getting the RP23 pushed will make a difference.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Vivid coil is very good. The comp damper is excellent.
  • ilovedirt
    Yeah - is this indicative of it being fucked?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    POAH wrote:

you should be able to feel a difference in compression damping between on/off - I take it the bike was second hand? getting the RP23 pushed will make a difference.
    Yeah, second hand. I may send it off for a service/tune. Was thinking about getting a monarch maybe. I'd love a CCDB air CS, but unfortunately my pockets aren't anywhere near that deep!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Yeah - is this indicative of it being farked?

If its relatively easy to flick between the positions (not a very positive feel to it as you engage the pro pedal position) then I have generally found that there is relatively little nitrogen charge left in it. I sorted my mates last week and he is well happy with it now.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Yeah - is this indicative of it being farked?

If its relatively easy to flick between the positions (not a very positive feel to it as you engage the pro pedal position) then I have generally found that there is relatively little nitrogen charge left in it. I sorted my mates last week and he is well happy with it now.
    That pretty much describes it. Sounds like it's due a service then, cheers.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • poah
    ilovedirt wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Yeah, second hand. I may send it off for a service/tune. Was thinking about getting a monarch maybe. I'd love a CCDB air CS, but unfortunately my pockets aren't anywhere near that deep!

get yourself a cheap fox van RC off ebay
  • ilovedirt
    They don't have a propedal lever...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • poah
    ilovedirt wrote:
    They don't have a propedal lever...

and?
  • ilovedirt
    Did you not read the first post?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • poah
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Did you not read the first post?

that was with a fox air shock - van RC has low speed compression adjustment. never had any issues climbing with mine
  • ilovedirt
    I really don't want a coil shock
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    send it of to TF and get it push'd whilst in for a service.

i had the same problem with my rp23, got it done and had first ride today- amazing, the platform is improved no end and they have worked wonders with the tune spec i gave them