Pimp My Kona

Donie75
Donie75 Posts: 92
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,
I'm a long time roadie but I bought a secondhand 2009 Kona Hei Hei recently to do some trails and singletrack. The frame, fork & rear shock are in very good nick and the frame was recently fitted with new bushings and the fork and rear shock were serviced. A few people have said its a very good frame and the reviews online seem good.
The first job I did was replace the Fox Vanilla 125R spring to a stiffer one because I'm a big guy.

The rest of the kit on the bike seems a little bit tired so I'm thinking of upgrading a few bits.

The shifters are Deore and they seem a bit worn. Are SLX good as replacements?

The brakes are BR-M575 and they are not great and make a lot of noise. Again, I'm thinking about Shimano M615's as they seem good value. Or are SLX better?

The old pedals are pants and I keep slipping off them so i'm going to buy a set of Shimano Saints.

My brother and a friend both have Rockshox Reverb Dropper seatposts and they seem like a great idea. Does anyone make a decent dropper for a 27.2mm seattube? and not too expensive...

I also need a new chain. Is it true that SRAM chains are better than Shimano?

Sorry for all the Questions.. Thanks.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yes SLX are good. the new deore stuff is also superb if you were on a budget.

I use sram chains.

have you looked at superstar pedals? maybe cheaper?

I don't know about dropper posts? a KS maybe?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. XT are better.
    Yes and a little bit.
    OK. But heavy. Wellgo MG1 are a better deal.
    AFAIK no.
    KMC are better than both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Donie75
    Donie75 Posts: 92
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the new Deore stuff too.
  • fielonator
    fielonator Posts: 100
    KS do a dropper that will fit, though they're quite hard to find. I think X-Fusion do one too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    RSP do a good 27.2 dropper, can be found on ebay under a different name, inline only though, not setback.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.