Cambium users- how are they?

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I know a few here have Brooks Cambium saddles and am just wondering how they are working out long term? I rather like the look of them and the avatar comp on the italia is looking a little worse for wear. The commuter has a aliante vsx on it which seems ok but I suspect I can do better for a replacement for the longer distance bike...
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I use mine on my commuting bike - 16 miles a day. Its good. Its a saddle, pretty comfy - middle feels a bit hammocky, but firmer if you sit back on it. Been out in the wet and no problems with the covering. Looks nice and people have a prod of it. Probably a vanity thing more than anything else - as long as it is comfy, a saddle is a saddle is a saddle, but I like it. I don't leave my bike "out" on the street - its at home or in a cage at work - I'd be a little concerned someone might try to nick it otherwise....
  • menthel
    mroli wrote:
    I use mine on my commuting bike - 16 miles a day. Its good. Its a saddle, pretty comfy - middle feels a bit hammocky, but firmer if you sit back on it. Been out in the wet and no problems with the covering. Looks nice and people have a prod of it. Probably a vanity thing more than anything else - as long as it is comfy, a saddle is a saddle is a saddle, but I like it. I don't leave my bike "out" on the street - its at home or in a cage at work - I'd be a little concerned someone might try to nick it otherwise....

Thanks for that, good to hear you like it.

Anyone with more long distance use?
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    ive answered on yacf too. I've used mine for 200k rides and back to back 100mile rides over a weekend - very comfy indeed. Strongly recommended!
  • menthel
    vs4b wrote:
    ive answered on yacf too. I've used mine for 200k rides and back to back 100mile rides over a weekend - very comfy indeed. Strongly recommended!

And again thanks! My finger is hovering over buy for the slate version...
    RIP commute...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I'd like one, but would prefer it in black rather than the slate colour
  • vs4b
    Think yourself lucky, mine is a funny beige colour, although it was free ;-)
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Another slate Cambium user here. I really want to like this saddle and it's fine for me up to around 30 miles and then like all other saddles I've used so far(and that's a lot) it starts to become uncomfortable and 50 miles is about the limit for me. I've actually taken mine off to try a Max Flite but that is the devil's work for me so the Cambium will be going back on until I find something that fits me better. To be fair it's a lovely saddle and about the most comfy I've had but the thought of the sportives I'm planning to do this year is a little bit daunting! I'll get round them but will be doing plenty of standing towards the end!

As a matter of interest, what angle do the other satisfied Cambium users have them set to? My best position is with the nose tilted up slightly with the spirit level resting across the whole length of the saddle. Is there a better position that suits most of you?
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Does anyone know why these saddles might be expected to be any more comfortable than any other standard saddle? I can see the point of a leather saddle as these will mould to fit you over time (I have Brooks pro saddles both on my road and track bikes) but surely these new saddle don't do this. So what is their 'USP'?
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • mroli
    I think its because they are a rubber construction and therefore flex a little to follow the shape of your backside - this is pretty noticeable if you sit in the middle of the saddle, with it being a bit firmer if you move your ass to the back of the saddle. They call it a "hammock" effect. It looks nice too - is that a USP?!
  • vs4b
    The comfort is tricky to describe... First glance a quick tap it feels very hard, like a leather saddle, but if you push it firmly the whole of the upper surfaces flexes slightly. It's a bit like having a bit of subtle bounce. I'm a convert, not sure about the carved version yet.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'm curious about the texture of the cover possibly wearing out lycra shorts more than a smooth saddle. Anyone notice any difference?
  • mroli
    Not massively - you can still slide on it fine when it is dry - I did note when it was a bit damp, your arse stays a little more "anchored", but I've been checking my shorts, and there doesn't seem to be any adverse effect on them as yet....