First club run.... Advice?

2»

Comments

• khisanth
    khisanth Posts: 41
    Joeblack wrote:

Iv decided to try this as since iv been riding with her iv enjoyed it a lot more but would like to do some group riding with some riders a bit quicker so this is with a view to doing some of the quicker groups later on.

Any advice or tips for someone new to club/group riding?

Just be friendly and relax! Fingers crossed they will be friendly and welcoming and look after you.

One thing I noticed is that my club has a fetish for hills :o
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    khisanth wrote:
    One thing I noticed is that my club has a fetish for hills :o

LOL. Thing I've noticed with my club is hill avoidance! We have lots of nice climbing on quiet roads, but they tend to stick to the flatter, busier roads.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Slowbike wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    Yes, but as a newbie on your first ride, you start with the slowest group. If you decide, I'm f'ing awesome I'll go with that fast group, and force everyone to slow down, then you're extremely rude and selfish, and should not be riding in a group at all. Everyone can keep up with a slower group than them, and that is what you do. Once you've found out you'd like to go faster than the slowest group, you move to the next one.

yer - but there's a marked difference between 14mph and 18mph ... if I were to turn up and get told to go with the 14mph group - no choice - then I'd probably sod off somewhere by myself - at 18mph (because I can do that) - but you're right - you shouldn't over estimate your abilities and wee-wee everyone else off ...

Fine with me, I don't gain anything by you deciding to ride by yourself, and I certainly don't lose anything by having to look after someone who isn't willing to start with the slowest groups. If you're new to a club, and especially if new to group riding you start on the slowest group unless you talk to the other riders in your group before you set off to ensure your expectations... Anything else is just rude.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Riding with the slowest group probably means it will be a 'social ride' with plenty of opportunity to meet people and determine if you enjoy being with them. If there are weaker riders, take the time to ride with them and provide encouragement and help. If you are the weaker rider, then take advantage of offers to help.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Thanks guys lot of good advice. I'll let you know how I get on
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    If someone keeps shouting steady it means go slower.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Make sure you a) take a couple of spare inner tubes and tyre levers with you, and b) know how to change them.
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    Make sure you read their etiquette.

When riding in a group don't forget to communicate.

Don't lose your road sense. Make sure you are self sufficient. I would say you should help out with turns on the front, especially if the wind picks up.

At the end sprint for the sign and do a dance of celebration if you win :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    jibberjim wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    Yes, but as a newbie on your first ride, you start with the slowest group. If you decide, I'm f'ing awesome I'll go with that fast group, and force everyone to slow down, then you're extremely rude and selfish, and should not be riding in a group at all. Everyone can keep up with a slower group than them, and that is what you do. Once you've found out you'd like to go faster than the slowest group, you move to the next one.

yer - but there's a marked difference between 14mph and 18mph ... if I were to turn up and get told to go with the 14mph group - no choice - then I'd probably sod off somewhere by myself - at 18mph (because I can do that) - but you're right - you shouldn't over estimate your abilities and wee-wee everyone else off ...

Fine with me, I don't gain anything by you deciding to ride by yourself, and I certainly don't lose anything by having to look after someone who isn't willing to start with the slowest groups. If you're new to a club, and especially if new to group riding you start on the slowest group unless you talk to the other riders in your group before you set off to ensure your expectations... Anything else is just rude.
    Ah. You put that "unless " in ....

That's ok - I don't mind that and I wouldn't want to be one holding a group up who are beyond my capability - but equally I wouldn't want to be obliged to ride in the slowest group just because that's what's done - unless it was the best group for my ability.

There can be a lot of snobbery in clubs - that can put ppl right off.
  • Joeblack
    edited April 2014
    So just got back from the run,

It was ok, the Mrs didn't come so I decided to go in the faster group (only two groups today) which I was advised stayed around 17mph, I was fine with the pace until the group split into two at the 23 mile mark, I stayed with the quicker of the two bunches but then struggled after a turn in the wind up a hill, this left me trailing and they didn't wait, I was then caught by a rider from the other pack who had stopped to take a wee and then got going again. He stayed with me till the stop (which was a good job because I had no idea where I was)

I found riding in a group fine, it wasn't unnerving having people that close to me, I'm pretty aware of my surroundings and alert anyway so that was fine, and people used signals for everything.

Overall thoughts were that I liked it and didn't really struggle to keep up the average but thought it a bit rude that the quicker riders left everyone else even though they stuck to the quoted average speed, suppose that's to be expected though?
  • If you are looking for an informal club in Nottingham you could do worse than have a look at Velo Club Bread and Bitter. Based around the Bread and Bitter pub on Woodthorpe Road they post various rides on their Facebook page. Plenty to choose from and seem very friendly with the added bonus that all rides finish in the pub.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The proper fast group in any club should all be racing on a Sunday, not faffin about going for lattes
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    I've been riding with Team MK since the start of 2014, missed about 3 Saturdays in that time. I've noticed my fitness has gone through the roof! Also what might seem like a good pace on your solo rides will easily be beaten when your in a quick moving pack!
  • markhewitt1978
    I mainly go out by myself or one other recently. The primary reason is that I like to go out early so I'm on the road at 7.15 where the club ride starts at 9.15. Yesterday at 9.15am I was already 20 miles away from home.
  • Joeblack
    I mainly go out by myself or one other recently. The primary reason is that I like to go out early so I'm on the road at 7.15 where the club ride starts at 9.15. Yesterday at 9.15am I was already 20 miles away from home.

It takes you 2hrs to do 20 miles? :o
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Joeblack wrote:

You try riding a BMX for 20 miles !
  • markhewitt1978
    Joeblack wrote:

It did yesterday, up hill all the way out, complete with a 20mph wind in my face the entire time, was miserable!

I would normally be at 25-30 miles by the 2 hour point.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack wrote:

It did yesterday, up hill all the way out, complete with a 20mph wind in my face the entire time, was miserable!

I would normally be at 25-30 miles by the 2 hour point.

I'm only kidding Mark, I'm not one to judge, it was just banter
  • markhewitt1978
    haha, no worries, my average for the ride was 13mph which I was disappointed with as I usually do 15mph most of the time, and I absolutely flew back with the wind at my back, hitting 50mph at one point, but as ever the descending and tail winds never fully pay you back!
  • slowbike
    New rider - in the "fast group" that then split ... then dropped and left to fend for himself ... Unless you were told that they wouldn't wait then .. nah - I wouldn't bother. If you were then that's the rules they want to play by then fine - you have a choice - speed up, ride with the slower group or get a GPS with mapping so you can find your own way home... ;)
  • markhewitt1978
    Slowbike wrote:
    New rider - in the "fast group" that then split ... then dropped and left to fend for himself ... Unless you were told that they wouldn't wait then .. nah - I wouldn't bother. If you were then that's the rules they want to play by then fine - you have a choice - speed up, ride with the slower group or get a GPS with mapping so you can find your own way home... ;)

Protip: Smartphone with the viewranger app and mapping of the whole of GB. As long as you don't leave Great Britain you won't be very lost ;)
  • slowbike
    I have an 800 with OSM
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Slowbike wrote:
    New rider - in the "fast group" that then split ... then dropped and left to fend for himself ...

If you've got the balls to claim you should ride with the fast group, and the faster split of the fast group, no of course you shouldn't be waited for, only rude self entitled gits do that.

It sounds like a club I'd actually be glad to be a member of.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Joeblack
    Guys,

Bear in mind there was only two groups out that day, and I was fine with the split, and I was fine with the set pace it was only when that pace went up that I struggled however I was only a couple of minutes behind.

It didn't bother me and I will go back but it did make me realise that the 'club' aspect of the ride didn't really exist. I was hardly spoke to unless I initiated it and wasn't really made to feel welcome if I'm honest.

That said I'm not really looking for a chummy ride so I'm fine to go back and just have a good ride at a decent pace each weekend.

I do have a Garmin 810 with maps so I wasn't worried about getting lost it was just finding the cafe that would have been the problem had another rider not stayed with me.

He however was a nice guy and did make a effort to talk etc once we had stopped.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I advice to all of you one place NC Club.
    Cullasaja Club golfers have a memorable relationship with the rugged granite rock cliffs, there are many enchanting Highlands mountain plateau, the view of serenity of Ravenel Lake and the cascading waters of the Cullasaja River and they play the game they love in the most beautiful spot in the Carolinas. Club have many activities including tennis, croquet, swimming, boating, and a first class fitness and wellness facility, drink and dine, spa, gym etc. Best place for couples and families. For more information about club you can check the link:
    NC Golf

Thanks for that I'll bear it in mind the next time I'm out on the club run. A wise golfer p*sses when he can a fool p*isses when he has to.