First impressions and questions!

joannesmith2818
joannesmith2818 Posts: 26
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I have now had my road bike for a week and have so far managed to get out on 3 rides! I just thought I would write a post to give my first impressions and also ask a few questions!

On my first proper ride, I cycled 8 miles in about 40 mins. Things I learnt....

1- Don’t start off too quickly, as by the end I had little steam left.
2- The cage pedals are not fun (so I got some “normal” pedals)
3- Rough road isn't as scary as I thought it would be. It rattles you around a bit but it is not as unstable as I anticipated.
4- Stopping is an art.....Now the seat is high I can’t do my usual stay on the seat stop (like I used to do on my m’bike).
5- Having your seat at the appropriate heights makes a huge amount of difference.
6- Also remembering to change gears before I stop was strangely hard for me...causing some slow wobbly push offs after traffic lights.
7- No matter which direction you are cycling, you seem to have to cycle into the wind.
8- Women are not exempt from pain in the private areas xD.
9- I LOVED IT

Ok so plenty to ponder there. So my second ride was on my own in my home town. So I did a short 3.5 mile ride to just see what the road was like. And my most recent ride I did 6.5 miles in about 30 mins. On the last ride I discovered that side gusts are pretty scary!

Ok now for some questions!

1- I can only really get out for “longer” rides on the weekends as I have little time in the evenings. I am doing short 30-40 min blasts after work. Is this enough to build myself up to longer rides?
2- As I am now going from an exercise bike to an actual bike for cardio, should I only cycle...so if it’s raining should I bother with my exercise bike? It’s just that my excise bike sits at a funny angle and is actually nothing like a real bike....so should I just keep my legs conditioned for an actual bike...or will it make absolutely no difference??
3- I know one of those trainers which you attach your bike to would be best. When I can afford one I will invest. Do those damage your bike in anyway? Just because if the wheel is fixed and it’s rocking, will it strain the wheel?

Thankyou!

Comments

• Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Welcome to the world of road cycling.

As you probably realise that most of the little niggles will improve with practice and more time in the saddle. Things like being in the right gear to push off from, stopping easily and rear end pain will all solve themselves the more you ride.

Initially i would say time in the saddle is important and if your goal is longer rides then doing 30/40 mins will help. As time goes on you can use the evening blasts for fast paced interval training which will help with endurance. Then use the weekends to gradually build the distances. Try and gradually increase yor distance every week and you will very quickly be riding a long way quite happily

I cant really comment on an exercise bike but my guess would be that every little helps.

Good luck and keep riding
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Really pleased to see No.9 on your list! Hope that one continues!

I started road biking last July and I still love it. Agree with you on the toe cages - mine lasted 150metres before I stopped and took them off! You're also dead right about constant headwinds - I still don't understand that - you think it'll be better around this corner, go around and its just the same!?!? Side gusts too - first time one took me by surprise I went right across the road - luckily it was a quiet road and there was no other traffic around :shock:

30-40mins during the week would seem fine to me, with a longer ride at weekends - ride whatever you can! My rides are restricted by how much time I've got so I just ride when I get chance.

Exercise bike in the rain?? What's wrong with the road bike in the rain? Skin is pretty waterproof and your bike certainly is! Many a time I've been out in torrential rain, you just have to laugh hysterically to yourself at how crazy everyone who sees you thinks you are! Maybe that's just me!?

Keep riding and keep loving it!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Toe clips and straps, like many things, take a little practice to get used to (like the clipless systems many replace them with). The ones that come with new bikes tend to be rubbish, but they still work. After a few rides , they become very simple. A lot of people taking up cycling in this day and age give up after a couple of tries, but they do work as well as they always have, and are a great solution if you don't want to buy cycling shoes.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Welcome... What they all said!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    1- I can only really get out for “longer” rides on the weekends as I have little time in the evenings. I am doing short 30-40 min blasts after work. Is this enough to build myself up to longer rides?

Absolutely! I usually only manage one 15 mile ride during the week, if I'm lucky. But I can go out and to 60 miles on a Sunday morning without too much trouble. I'm not that quick doing it mind!
    2- As I am now going from an exercise bike to an actual bike for cardio, should I only cycle...so if it’s raining should I bother with my exercise bike? It’s just that my excise bike sits at a funny angle and is actually nothing like a real bike....so should I just keep my legs conditioned for an actual bike...or will it make absolutely no difference??

Cardio is cardio to a large extent, so I would say keep using your exercise bike if you can't get out, will help you keep in good form.
    3- I know one of those trainers which you attach your bike to would be best. When I can afford one I will invest. Do those damage your bike in anyway? Just because if the wheel is fixed and it’s rocking, will it strain the wheel?

Not really, but a lot receommend getting a spare wheel and tyre for use on a turbo.

Have fun and Strava or it didn't happen! ;)
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Haha, nice change from POIDH.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Schoie81 wrote:
    You're also dead right about constant headwinds - I still don't understand that - you think it'll be better around this corner, go around and its just the same!?!?
    It's relative speeds - you travelling at 17mph into a 10mph h/wind would spin a turbine fitted to your h/bars at quite a pace. Turn round and amble back at 5mph you have a relative tailwind of 5mph - not much, but a bit of a helping hand. As soon as you go faster than the windspeed you have a h/wind, and as most of us tend to going faster than a light wind, there's always a h/wind regardless of wind direction.

Answers to OP's questions:

1) Any time in the saddle is good so yes - just keep at it whenever possible.

2) Given the choice always opt for the bike, it's more fun. Rain is character building and won't hurt you or the bike - give the bike and yourself a wipe-down afterwards and lube if / where necessary and it's good to go again.

3) You mean a turbo? The most boring way known to man in which to spend an hour on a bike, but everyone has to find out for themselves. It won't damage your wheel but will wear your tyre out faster hence a lot of people have a spare wheel to slip on for turbo time.
  • Thankyou all for the replies and info!
    My reservations about going out in the rain were more to do with the handling of the bike. I am quite nervous around bend and wet ground would only add to that. Until I am confident I feel dry ground is the best way. But I am planning to go no matter what the weather as I improve.
    On that note....when going around corners I am terrified of how far I can lean on skinny wheels. I know its probably a case of trial and hopefully not to much error on my part, but it does get me nervous.

As for the wind....yeh that makes sense!!

And yes I guess I do mean a turbo! I will look into getting one at some point. Obviously I would much prefer to get out on the real thing but always nice to have the other option.

I have planned a slightly longer route for the weekend, so I shall see how I go!
    Thanks again
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    On that note....when going around corners I am terrified of how far I can lean on skinny wheels. I know its probably a case of trial and hopefully not to much error on my part,

I had a big off on a corner once by leaning too far. I'd had probably been watching too much motorbike racing on the TV.

And it hurt - lots, right down to the chipped teeth. :(

Now rather than lean, I just steer. Keep the bike uprightish and steer around the bend. It works for me, probably more psyhcological than anything else.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Thankyou all for the replies and info!
    My reservations about going out in the rain were more to do with the handling of the bike. I am quite nervous around bend and wet ground would only add to that. Until I am confident I feel dry ground is the best way. But I am planning to go no matter what the weather as I improve.
    On that note....when going around corners I am terrified of how far I can lean on skinny wheels. I know its probably a case of trial and hopefully not to much error on my part, but it does get me nervous.

As for the wind....yeh that makes sense!!

And yes I guess I do mean a turbo! I will look into getting one at some point. Obviously I would much prefer to get out on the real thing but always nice to have the other option.

I have planned a slightly longer route for the weekend, so I shall see how I go!
    Thanks again

When you're cornering (where you don't need/want to pedal) always have your inside pedal at 12 and, of course, outside at 6. Then you can shift more weight onto the outside is you're feeling nervous or the bike is getting twitchy. Easier said than done, but the ideal thing is to keep relaxed when cornering. Tensing up and gripping the bars too tightly will only make the bike more squirrelly.

As you said, build it to it slowly. Gain confidence in yourself and your bike. You don't need to be cornering like Cancellera when you're new to cycling.