Yellow Peril
Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
edited April 2014 in Pro race
@JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Just a bunch of names no-one cares about ... It's Bruyneel that holds the key to all this ...
  • Yellow Peril
    Is this a nail in the coffin for Bruyneel?
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Just a bunch of names no-one cares about ... It's Bruyneel that holds the key to all this ...

I imagine Landis will be interested in those names as they might end up being joinder in his Qui Tam case.
    @JaunePeril

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    His continued denials of doping in his comeback years is interesting especially as it was under oath. He really wouldn't want Bruyneel to contradict that.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    TheBigBean wrote:
    His continued denials of doping in his comeback years is interesting especially as it was under oath. He really wouldn't want Bruyneel to contradict that.

For all the USADA 1-in-100,000-chance-he-wasnt claim, I'm still not totally convinced he was. Or at least, anything heavy duty.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    TheBigBean wrote:

For all the USADA 1-in-100,000-chance-he-wasnt claim, I'm still not totally convinced he was. Or at least, anything heavy duty.

It's hard to see how he benefits from continuing to lie about 2009/10 if he did dope, so maybe the more likely scenario is that he didn't?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    He benefits because the statute of limitations for doping offences is normally 8 years, which still covers the period of his ill-considered comeback.

He's playing a long game in the hope that, at some point, he is allowed to compete in an IOC affiliated sport.

I don't believe for a second that he was clean during his comeback, fwiw.
  • Richmond Racer
    andyp wrote:
    He benefits because the statute of limitations for doping offences is normally 8 years, which still covers the period of his ill-considered comeback.

He's playing a long game in the hope that, at some point, he is allowed to compete in an IOC affiliated sport.

I don't believe for a second that he was clean during his comeback, fwiw.

He's got a lifetime ban. The SoL got waived for the reasons USADA laid out. So not convinced how the 8 years SoL consideration still stands up?

If he was doping in 2010, he needs his money back
  • TheBigBean
    r0bh wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It's hard to see how he benefits from continuing to lie about 2009/10 if he did dope, so maybe the more likely scenario is that he didn't?

He thinks that most people believe things were much cleaner from 2008. If he was able to ride clean and finish 3rd as a relatively old man (before Horner proved what old really is), it implies that he might have done quite well if there wasn't all this doping sloshing around before. That is, he sees it as proof he could have won 7 tours if everyone wasn't doping and it's not his fault. That's why it is quite key.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    And this guy still dodges the bullets, I guess.. If you know who I'm talking about..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJtY8vAWLb52Q8S9Y1D89FDgIXxb1heZDMfPqD1thVPgZw_jv3
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    TheBigBean wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

He thinks that most people believe things were much cleaner from 2008. If he was able to ride clean and finish 3rd as a relatively old man (before Horner proved what old really is), it implies that he might have done quite well if there wasn't all this doping sloshing around before. That is, he sees it as proof he could have won 7 tours if everyone wasn't doping and it's not his fault. That's why it is quite key.

why then were his blood values all over the place in the 09 tour? i reckon he was as dirty then as before. most of the rest of the peloton were cleaner, I'm fairly sure.
  • TheBigBean
    philbar72 wrote:
    why then were his blood values all over the place in the 09 tour? i reckon he was as dirty then as before. most of the rest of the peloton were cleaner, I'm fairly sure.

So do I, but then I'm generally quite cynical. I was answering the question of why Lance continues to benefit by lying.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    ThomThom wrote:
    And this guy still dodges the bullets, I guess.. If you know who I'm talking about..

Since he's American, how do you pronounce his name ?
    - Why-sel ?
    - Vie-sell ?
    - Vee-sell ?
    - Weasel ?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    r0bh wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Don't forget he is a pathological liar.
  • Richmond Racer
    andy_wrx wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Since he's American, how do you pronounce his name ?
    - Why-sel ?
    - Vie-sell ?
    - Vee-sell ?
    - Weasel ?

No matter how it should be pronounced, it really can only be Weasel
  • ThomThom wrote:

I thought it was a rat :)
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    judging from his interviews it seems like he didn't view what he was doing as doping but as preparing for the race so I think he has convinced himself he wasn't doping on his comeback. There is no way he would have doped all his career made a comeback trained and raced 100% clean for that, he thought he was untouchable and that he had/was going to get away with the whole thing.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Given his track record for telling lies does anybody anywhere believe anything Lance Armstrong says. If he were ever to testify in court he would never be taken seriously.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    back in the day a Lance thread could have 10 pages by lunch time.

good times
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Lance wants his lifetime ban overturned with any remaining ban being backdated to 2005, his last year of doping. Say, an 8 year ban...

Any admission to doping within the last 9 years and suddenly he'd find the ban knocked on. So if he admitted to doping in 2010, any reduced (say 8 years) ban could see him out the picture until 2018.

Therefore, it has to be "clean in 09/10" probably until 2018 passes!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It has more to do with his lying under oath.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Milton50 wrote:

I would suggest that you do a little reading about "pathological liars". For one thing I believe that a pathological liar lies about everything AND with no real reason to do so. While LA most definitely lied about things, I would bet he did it with reasons in mind.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Simple business plan - based upon a huge lie, you raise $50m.

You then tell the truth after eight years have past and lose half of it. Keep lying up to the 8 year window closes for the comeback and you end up with (guess) $20m. All kids/wife/lifestyle paid for. If he tells the whole truth now, he ends up giving more away.

Simple greed.
  • milton50
    dennisn wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

I would suggest that you do a little reading about "pathological liars". For one thing I believe that a pathological liar lies about everything AND with no real reason to do so.

What? A pathological liar is someone who frequently lies even when there is no discernible gain from lying. Falsification becomes a default response.

It certainly doesn't mean that they lie about everything and doesn't mean that every lie they tell brings them no gain.

Not that I was passing a psychiatric diagnosis. It was a passing comment on a cycling forum.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    back in the day a Lance thread could have 10 pages by lunch time.

good times

Yeah, but those threads were performance assisted... Now it's just the background hum of next door watching Jeremy Kyle at too loud a volume.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    does show that really all he cares about is himself. When it came to crunch time the Omerta he fought so hard to defend didn't really matter, only his own self centred interests.

I also note that he's only named names in the case against him, he's had months to go the USADA or UCI with this info to help the sport but only spoken out when he has something to gain from it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    sherer wrote:
    does show that really all he cares about is himself. When it came to crunch time the Omerta he fought so hard to defend didn't really matter, only his own self centred interests.

I also note that he's only named names in the case against him, he's had months to go the USADA or UCI with this info to help the sport but only spoken out when he has something to gain from it.

Everyone is self interested. It's just some people's self interest aligns with others'.
  • Richmond Racer
    sherer wrote:

Everyone is self interested. It's just some people's self interest aligns with others'.

True dat
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Milton50 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

I would suggest that you do a little reading about "pathological liars". For one thing I believe that a pathological liar lies about everything AND with no real reason to do so.

What? A pathological liar is someone who frequently lies even when there is no discernible gain from lying. Falsification becomes a default response.

It certainly doesn't mean that they lie about everything and doesn't mean that every lie they tell brings them no gain.

Not that I was passing a psychiatric diagnosis. It was a passing comment on a cycling forum.

Pathological liar = An individual who habitually tells lies so exaggerated or bizarre that they are suggestive of mental disorder.
    Now LA did lie about doping and a few other things but how is that "exaggerated or bizarre"?
    It was simple lying, no more no less. I think you heard this word(pathological) and it sounded really nice and evil to you, so therefore worthy of you using it on an LA haters forum. :wink:
  • milton50
    He's a pathological liar. We're not going to agree.