Cube or Specialized?

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As someone who was stupid enough to buy a hardrock as my first bike I would say don't do it. They are terrible for the money. The specialized name doesn't guarantee a quality frame.
    They were better value five years ago when I bought mine, still not a good bike and they are worse now.
    There are so many better options.
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    If you do end up buying from Halfords ask them to order one in then take it home still in the box.
  • Doris Day
    Doris Day Posts: 83
    Get the Cube. It's the one you want and they are a blooming sweet build with a fab warrenty.
    Spec are over rated and Halford bikes are pretty drab (as common as iPhones)

Go Cube.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Could there be a good reason why they are common?
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    I must agree regarding Spec' quality,I had and my son still has a 2007 H/R that I purchased years ago,he needed a bike so I "sold" it to him to help fund a 2011 spec' H/R...was I gutted..you bet as soon as I rode it any distance it was a POS,with cable disc's :wink: .I persevered but I was never happy and he won't sell me the '07 back,it rides so well,it's well made,light and smooth,where did they go wrong?Trying to make money by saving money on quality... :(
    I will visit Half's still today(propably) and again thanks for all the input.

Perhaps people see Half's as a cheap(in their minds)option into cycling,as a "high street" retailer,same as doing your weekly shop in Tesco(etc) instead of a corner shop,good advertising helps and easy to deal with,as in no real taxing questions...family rides at £99 sometimes lower helps attract the masses.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The think with halfords is the actual Bikes (some Carerra most Boardman) are very, very good. And exceptional value for money compared to many of the big names brands.

Unfortunately because of the nature of their shops they seem to be hit and miss in terms of service etc. Personally, I think the sheer value for money makes the possibility of poor service / set up worth taking. The worst ought to be having to pay an lbs give it the once over.

But there is always the odd horror story and of course dissatisified people generally shout louder than happy ones!

But before you get too involved, please do check if you can even use your vouchers at Halfords - they have a dedicated scheme and the vouchers are not always interchangeable.

btw, I'm not at all surprised about your comments on the 2007 vs 2011 hardrock. In trying to keep the price points the same the specs dropped considerably over that period. in 2007/8/9 Specialized seemed reasonable value, but they really seem to have lost the plot over the last few years. (my first proper mtb bike was a 2008 Rockhopper which was good for the money at the time)
  • dayone
    dayone Posts: 12
    Could there be a good reason why they are common?

Cheap bikes. Halfords is everywhere, Cycle to work scheme, Gumtree and others like it. People who think about
    getting a bike go to Halfords and have never ventured into any other type of bike shop due to all types of social reasons and not nesacerialy becuase the Halfords bikes are any good. Advertiseing.

'Cycle to work' saved Halfords bacon.

A lot of Cycle to work bikes end up being sold as soon as they are purchased.
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    I visited Maidenhead Half's today,they had a Biganzo and TBH I was not impressed,but that may be down to the prep of the bike,it just didn't seem finished even though the completed check list was attached to it.
    It was nearly closing time so I'll go back in the next few days when I have more time and speak to someone..