Campagnolo Veloce front shifter

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Anyone come across a problem with Campag Veloce FD shifter sticking? Was out with someone this evening when he said the front shifter felt as if the cable inner had snapped. Chain was in the small ring but the lever to change up had no resistance at all preventing any changing on the front. Checking it, the cable inner was taught and the thumb lever was stuck refusing to budge. The rubber cover isn't interfering with the operation.

I've had it on the stand tonight to free it off by removing the cable inner which has no breaks in it, but has a slight kink by the nipple. With no cable in, the levers appear to be going through the shift process ok. Once the cable is reintroduced the thumb lever locks up again. Unless it's the slight kink in the cable it's got me puzzled beyond a strip down? I'm wondering if he's been riding with his thumb on the thumb lever while operating the lever behind the brake and has somehow dislodged the spring. He's fairly new to riding and a bit cack-handed with his gear changes.
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    edited April 2014
    I bought a used set of Campag levers with non-Campag cables and had EXACTLY this happen - even the inner kink by the nipple - but on the rear lever.

It seems to be down to having a Shimano-shaped nipped in the Campag ratchet - or at least a nipple that isn't exactly the right shape. The nipple sticks and gets pulled around inside the lever mechanism. Once kinked, it more susceptible to doing the same thing each time.

Solution - new inners with proper Campag nipples.

Some images: https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair- ... -a-housing
  • StillGoing
    Excellent. It's definitely a Shimano inner so I'll stick him some Campagnolo inners on.
  • StillGoing
    Update. Whilst the front shifter presented no problems in changing the cable inner, the right shifter had the Shimano nipple wedged into the ratchet mechanism resulting in a complete strip down of the shifter to get it out. It was only a matter of time before his rear derailleur mechanism failed.

Thanks for the suggestion which has proved to be bang on the money.