where to buy cheap quality tools

rickbst170
rickbst170 Posts: 228
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Evenin all,

I'm still buying components so have a while yet, but I'll need the tools to put them all together. I used to work in a bike shop so had tools handy all the time. Now I have nowt. I want cheap, but not crap. There's no point buying a tool for half the price if it fails the first time it's used.

Where is the best place to get decent quality tools (chain whip, cassette tool, freewheel, bb, crank puller etc) at bargain prices? I guess a kit of bike specific tools from somewhere that has a sale on?

Ta

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This sort of thing is just fine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-35PC-M ... 5d470155c0

In fact some of the tools have lasted my years in my set, and are better quality than many so called 'workshop' tools.
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Cheers bud. Recently took my car apart and went through tons of cheapo torx bits. Just want to make sure I don't buy crap which gets rounded off straight away or worse, rounds off my shiny new bits.

Anyone recently bought the above kit or similar and found it to be robust?

Ta
  • John1458
    John1458 Posts: 12
    I bought the Lidl/aldi ( can't remember ) tool kit for £20 when that came round and that has served me brilliantly, I admittedly bent a cone spanner when I tried to use it on my pedals....... but apart from that it has been great. The chain tool looks identical to the above and that has been ok not as good as the one on my topeak hexus II when used with ten speed chains but has performed well on older 5/6/7/8 speed chains. The crank puller is identical and is solid as rock and the cone spanner are great when used for what they are designed for.
  • The Planet X Jobsworth kits were more than up to the job for a recent build I carried out.