3 hardtail 29er options

Dandy Dan 69
Dandy Dan 69 Posts: 45
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking at getting a 29er hardtail for off road riding but nothing too demanding. My trance is brilliant for red and black trail riding, but I want something that's makes longer, less technical rides a bit more fun.

I like the boardman pro 29er. A big plus for this is I can get it on the ride to work scheme.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

However, I've just seen this giant.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s155p4 ... 9ER-2-2013

Now, to me the component spec looks pretty similar. I'm not to knowledgeable about sram components though.

Not quite sure how much the boardman will cost with the scheme, but basically is that giant frame worth spending the extra few hundred hundred quid on?

The 3rd option is a custom build from my lbs using a kenesis ff29 frame, slx group set, xfusion forks. That would come in at about £1300.

Thoughts?
Giant Trance 3 '08
Kona Lava Dome '96
Giant Alliance '08

Comments

• Cheers

I really like the look of that giant, but I think I'd better go with the boardman. Without going into boring detail, I can't really afford to whack that giant on a credit card. Especially as I can make some sort of saving on it with c2w (as yet unknown).
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    For a £1000 voucher on the C2W scheme you will be paying a few pence over £56 a month based on the standard tax rate of 20%, and National Insurance of 12%. So 32% saving over the year means you only pay £680 in 12 months, which is a steal for the Pro. Let me know if you need any more info as I work in Halfords and know the scheme and products very well.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The Boardman has slightly slacker geometry - 69 head angle as opposed to 71.5 on the giant, so it's a little less racy which for an all round machine I would prefer.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You want a bike to make "longer, less technical rides more fun" and are after a 29er? Your idea of fun and mine are two very, very different things! I've yet to ride any 29er that is more "fun".

What it will do is allow you to cover more ground faster (I am noticeably quicker on my 29er HT than my 26er full sus) with the improved roll etc. but it certainly isn't more "fun" unless you get a peculiar buzz from ride stats!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2013_Bike

If going down the 29er route then I like the look of this Whyte; I think the carbon 29er offerings from on one look good value too.

I also like the look of the Kinesis by the way.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Got an FF29 myself, brilliant bike, around £1500 to build up if you can be arsed to look high and low on the net for the best deals, check my sig if your interested.
  • So. I ended up getting the Giant.

I'd actually decided to get the Boardman on the ride to work scheme as it was such ridiculous value, but then my work decided to not open it when they said they would and they don't know when it's next going to happen. So I got impatient and went for the Giant (which had gone down £100 since I had last looked at it which was nice).

Anyway, it arrived today. This is what I found when I got home.

DSC_0670_zps47673b61.jpg

I'm torn between being really happy that I didn't have to go traipsing off to the delivery office to collect it as it was a missed delivery, or rather pissed off that they thought they'd just chance leaving £1100 in my front yard (Comments about the state of the walls are not required).
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If that's your front door you must be really short.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    spat my tea out CD!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Delivery companies all of them need a kicking. A mate ordered some Reba forks and the delivery clown threw the box over the gates at the side of his house. The box was bashed up and lay in a puddle for nearly a whole day till he went out to put something in the bin and tripped over the box. He sent them straight back without opening the box and asked for a new set. The delivery company said not there problem the box was signed for but refused to say who had signed for it and couldnt explain how the box had managed to get over a 7 foot high gate on its own.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • theMagician
    theMagician Posts: 83
    What does the xtc ride like?

Are you impressed? Do you know the weight.

This is one of the bikes that I am looking at getting at the 2013 model seems a bargain
  • I really like it. It's taking me a little while to get used to riding a hardtail again, especially when the trail is quite demanding. It's great on longer less technical rides though. You just bomb along.

The large is 11.1kg with spds.
    Giant Trance 3 '08
    Kona Lava Dome '96
    Giant Alliance '08