rubbing, thudding, grinding noise from front brakes

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I get this quite a bit on my Trek 1.5

Brakes and pads are adjusted fine, so thats not the issue.

Its like an intermittent scrape on the rims while braking. I thought it might be bits of grit getting caught up in the pads and then not dislodging...but the noise wouldn't be intermittent?

If I run a piece of cloth between rim and pad it reduces the issue

Any thoughts? I am fearful my rims won't last long at this rate...Would new pads (i.e upgrade) help?. Currently have the standard fit brakes, pads and wheels

Ta

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Take out the wheel and have a look at the blocks. Dig any debris out of there. Then try it again. Sounds like you have something stuck in there.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a Trek 1.5 2013. To be honest the original brake pads are very poor and best replaced with better quality ones.

It sounds like you have something stuck in your pads or possibly a manufacturing defect with the pads. Also check the wheel spins smoothly , the QR is done up tight enough and the brakes are also on properly and not loose.
  • markiegrim
    Kajjal - what pads did you upgrade to?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi,
    I ride a couple of treks. How often do you clean and relube your bike? Clean brake blocks and rims, lube and regrease blakes and fork. Might seem strange but apply a small coating of lube between stem and bars. Lastly remove bars and pedals, then grease them and reseat.
    I had a weird noise that seemed to be coming from my stem, turned out to be pedals needed regreasimg. Worth lubing and checking all nuts and bolts are properly tightenedl the noise may seem to be one area but the frame resonates it to another.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I swapped my brakes for 105's which I found much better in the dry, I do weight just under 100kg though which means I need better brakes. They were not so good in the wet so I changed the pads to swisstop greens which work well for me. Have a hunt in the forum search facility for brake pad recommendations as any quality pads should be better.

If you are very light weight the gain may not be as noticeable.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    markiegrim - I still have the standard stock brake blocks that came on my bike when it was new and had a similar noise (grinding/squeaking) recently. Took all blocks off and each one had one or two tiny pieces of 'something' stuck in the material of the block - flicked them out with a needle and noise gone and braking improved.

As for upgrades - asked that question on here last week - general consensus from all the replies I got was its a straight choice between Swisstop Green (as Kajjal says..) and Kooltstop salmon blocks - all others are also-rans. I'm yet to try them - just passing on the advice I got....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • markiegrim
    thats great advice thanks..looking like I will have to take wheels off, inspect, etc - what a pain..might as well fit new blocks same time
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You might have replaceable pads on the brakes ? Is there a small screw on the brake holder ? If so - unscrew that and slide the blocks out of the back - check and replace or fix.
  • markiegrim
    Weirdly looks like the whole block screws into the calliper. Can't See any kind or cartridge system. Does that sound normal? Can feel a trip to LBS coming on
  • Schoie81
    markiegrim wrote:
    Weirdly looks like the whole block screws into the calliper. Can't See any kind or cartridge system. Does that sound normal? Can feel a trip to LBS coming on

Markie - yes, from what I can gather, the blocks you have (and I have) seem to be cheaper versions hence they are shipped with "lower-end" bikes 'as standard'. You can replace them though, as I am in the process of doing, for the holders and replaceable blocks as cougie is describing.

Have a read of the thread I posted a couple of weeks ago - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12964073 you're asking the same questions I did!!
  • markiegrim
    Thanks Schoie

I read your other post. What did you end up getting?

The link to the Merlin cycles page was for a packet (pair) of holders and black pads. Thinking I might go for Swisstop Greens and holders, I went pack one level on Merlin site and found these:

http://www.merlincycles.com/swissstop-f ... 64938.html

I think these are also what I need? But described as "brake blocks" rather than pads and holders (I know this all might sound bleeding obvious...but I want to be sure I buy the right thing :))

Come in at £46 for two pairs. So started to think might be worth the extra expense of upgrading calipers instead and/or as well as adding swisstop greens. For example, could get a pair of Ultegra on wiggle for £58..only a little more than buying the swisstop green blocks...adding swisstop green pads to replace the shimano pads on the new calipers would make it £75 - still seems good.....

....but then also read something about checking compatiibility with the shifters...which put me off

Any thoughts?!?!?
  • Schoie81
    Haven't changed mine yet, but will be going for the Swissstop green. I've not even considered changing the calipers - I'm sure someone will enlighten me but I can't see how much benefit I would get from doing so. I don't think the braking capabilities of my current set-up is as bad as my head fears it is and I'm hoping the better pads will get rid of at least some of that paranoia.
  • markiegrim
    Yeah...think I tend to agree...calipers a step too far probably...at least for now

So, to be sure I am looking at the right thing - is it the swisstop greens "blocks" you will be getting from Merlin as I linked to? I could only find one other supplier to compare prices - "Acycles"...did you have any other luck?
  • Schoie81
    markie - yeah, the item you linked at is what I need - obviously I can't say for certain they'll fit your bike, but I imagine they will. As far as I'm aware, brake 'blocks' are the friction part of rim brakes, and 'pads' are for use with disc brakes - might not be the official difference, but that's what they mean to me and it seems to be how they're retailed.
  • markiegrim
    Thanks Schoie.. I just posted a separate message to gather more info
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    LIGHTLY rub steel wool on the braking surfaces, just enough to clean any in-grained rubber/dirt off the rim.
    Should at least quiet it down a bit
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2