DT Swiss Wheel Bearing Covers

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anyone give me some advice on how best to remove the outer-most nuts that hold the 'dust covers(?)' onto the wheel bearings? I've managed to get the disc side nut off but now I have no way of getting any purchase to undo the cassette side nut. There is a lot of grinding coming from the bearing and i've noticed a small piece missing from the cassette side cover. I figure there is dirt inside and it could be the cause of all the cracking noise I get when the bike is rolling along.

Cheers all.
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Which hubs? Or wheels?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelo
    All I know is that it is a DT Swiss Rear Wheel Hub, I believe it came from a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper and is fitted on a DT Swiss XR 4.2D rim. Probably 2007 and was supplied as a replacement to a factory fitted rear wheel on my Rockhopper. 9 speed cassette. The cassette rotates smoothly and feels like it is well packed with grease. It's the shaft running through the centre that is grinding. From reading Park Tools it the lock nuts that are holding the dus covers on the outside of the axle bearings. As I said, one side is free but the other is seized and I have no way of gripping the exposed threads on the opposite side to be able to undo the seized lock nut.

Thanks.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • steelo
    How do I get the lock-nut free from the brake rotor end of the axle? If I put the cassette end of the axle into a vice then I will risk destroying the threads on the shaft.

I'm 99% certain it is a DT Swiss Custom SL, 32h disc, alloy QR rear wheel hub, if that's any help.

I've now scratched the dust cap on the rotor side trying to grip it with pliers while trying to undo the lock nut. I'm annoyed now!

I need help!
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    Sounds like you need a proper set of cone wrenches, 17mm is the norm for rear wheels with cup and cone bearings. And to be fair you only need to undo one side and then the axle pulls out from the drive side, after removing the cassette.

Yep after reading your post again it seems you haven't yet removed the cassette to access both sides.

This video might help

http://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/