What Brake Pads Trek 1.2 2011

Devon Lad
Devon Lad Posts: 75
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Bought some Shimano Dura Ace 7900 brake pads for my bike (Trek 1.2 2011) and they are very difficult to force into the brake shoes. I don't want to force them for fear of not being able to send them back. The last brake pads I had were nowhere near this much hassle.

The brakes themselves are unbranded so I had no idea what company to go for. All other replacements have been "Aztec" from my LBS. I was just looking for a cheaper alternative and assumed Shimano would fit?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    Bu99er, just bought the same for my Trek 1.1.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Eh, i would thought they would've fit, then again if it's 7900, there might be a new design which could explain why they're not going in.
    If you've changed the pads before and know how to do it, yet they won't go in, then maybe they're not supposed to, you might be as well to send them back and stick with the Aztecs which you know works :)
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Should be normal calliper pads. I've had some that needed persuading in but as long as the back looks like the old ones you should be fine.

Can't say if Shimano changed the design on 7900, but I've had KoolStop and swisstops in no problem in my 1.5 2011.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I've noticed some Shimano pads can be a very tight fit as well. Try using some white spirit or paraffin as a lubricant in the shoes to slide the pads in as either liquid will just evaporate after a few hours. Obviously try not to get any on the brake track or pad braking surface but easy enough to clean off if you do.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    They should slide in sideways. If they don't slide in easily, a bit of washing up liquid is your best best. Failing that, a light sanding to remove a bit of bulk, just done remove too much.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro