Stamford Lincs to St Ives Cambridge?

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited April 2014 in Tour & expedition
Looking for some cycle friendly route advice.

Riding with some mates from Melton Mowbray Leics to Cambridge.

I m fine to Stamford area and I m fine from St Ives into Cambridge. Can anyone fill the gaps for me.

Stamford to St Ives no Major roads and some nice scenery.

Thanks Tim

Comments

• bob150
    bob150 Posts: 10
    Hi when i ride to stamford I usually go through barnack and castor and ailsworth and through ferrymeadows country park along the cycle track by the river to peterborough you can go from there following the river on cycle paths then across the bridge leading to a cycle path to whittlesey town its all quiet country roads and paved cycle tracks if you look on google maps for bicycle it shows a very similar route which will be fine . I live in whittllesey and know you can get from there to cambridge along quiet roads I think I all ready have my route from whittlesey to cambridge on my garmin I may be able to upload if it helps
  • tim_wand
    bob150 wrote:
    Hi when i ride to stamford I usually go through barnack and castor and ailsworth and through ferrymeadows country park along the cycle track by the river to peterborough you can go from there following the river on cycle paths then across the bridge leading to a cycle path to whittlesey town its all quiet country roads and paved cycle tracks if you look on google maps for bicycle it shows a very similar route which will be fine . I live in whittllesey and know you can get from there to cambridge along quiet roads I think I all ready have my route from whittlesey to cambridge on my garmin I may be able to upload if it helps

That would be a winner. I ve got a 500 so it will take gpx as a bread crumb, I think.
    I was looking at a route more south west of the A1.

Oakham , Uppingham Oundle, Alconbury general direction. but possibly your route if it follows the nene towards Whittlesey would be quite. I should be okay from Whittlesey as I used to work in March.
  • bob150
    bob150 Posts: 10
    If you decide to go via oundle there is a root that passes haddon hammerton zoo and the giddings then joins a road which is part of the cycle route network it wil take you to a part of alconbury I think it may be west its lovely that way and normaly quiet roads im not too good with remembering place names but it should give you a point the right direction
  • tim_wand
    I ve done an initial search on Bikely and the Route past the Zoo looks the favourite, I m going to have a more detailed look on google maps. Thanks for the help.