Campag Record 11 speed transmission problem

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited April 2014 in Workshop
When changing from big ring to small the chain sometimes does not engage with the small chainring, Instead it seems to sit on top of the ring and pedalling has no effect. Ive had this before about 5 years ago with 10s Centaur. The chain is new but its a Chorus and the chainrings are not worn out. The front mech is also Chorus and fairly new. Also, are Chorus chains more noisy and clunky than Record chains?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Sounds like front mech isn't coming over far enough towards frame when changing to small ring. You could try adjusting the stop screw (the top one). Loosen it slightly by turning anti-clockwise by about 10 minutes (thinking of the screw like a clock face). If chain comes off when you change down to small ring, you have loosened it too much. A second possibility might be a dirty or worn out cable preventing mech from returning fully when you push down down on the left button.

As for chains, I believe the only difference with a Record chain is weight-saving hollow pins and slots in side plates. So I don't think a Chorus chain would be any noisier or clunkier.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The cable was too lose which is slightly counter intuitive. But probably needs to be quite tight as it may need replacing. On my other bike the cable is quite lose and it works fine with a record front mech but the cable may be flowing more easily. The problem with the Cervelo is that it has no cable tensioners at the stops and there isnt space for them. So its a bit trial error getting the tension optimum.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    Add in inline adjuster for the front mech maybe? I usually use them on the front just to fine tune mech.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny