Minoura turbo - no skewer?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I've borrowed a turbo from a friend of a friend to help with recovery from a torn calf.

Now that I've got it home, I've noticed its missing a skewer of its own to go through the rear axel, and I won't be seeing the guy again for a while.

Can you use a turbo with just the skewer from the bike as I ride it on the road? Or will it not fit? (Can't test it out for a few days)

Cheers!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Probably not, but that depends on the shape of the skewer you have. Turbo ones usually have a bigger head at the 'nut' end. Also your lever may not actually sit inside the trainer clamp.
  • larkim
    OK cheers! Might have to track down a spare from ebay
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try it and see. It depends on how funky your skewers are. Older style skewers fitted turbos just fine. Now it's all new skewers and specific turbo tyres !
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I had a Minoura turbo and I can safely say that any skewer will do, I used Mavic, Dura-ace Planet X Ti and in the end I got hold of a cheap Shimano one that I still use to this day on a turbo.
  • larkim
    I put it on last night, and the bolt side of the skewer was well secured, but I was a bit less confident about the lever side. It seemed to hold OK, and I sat on it for about a minute without issue, but as the QR skewer in there is a nicely painted black one, I feared scratching, so undid it, visited ebay and have got an old style silver skewer heading my way for about £4. That'll certainly work, and I won't need to fear damage to my bike.

Thanks for the guidance!

Matt