Vision TC 24 carbon tubular wheelset

dpsaunders
dpsaunders Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I recently bought a Cannondale supersix evo hi mod which comes with vision carbon tubular wheels. These seem decent race wheels but I don't think tubular is for me. Not sure whether to sell them (and ebay seems to have quite a few on so not sure if I would get a good price) our keep the hubs and put clincher rims on there. Any advice on what offers best value for money gratefully received. ultimately I would like to have a good race set of wheels.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Have you tried them?
    Tubulars rock and if you want to race they are the way to go. The ride is really awesome.

Replacing the rims is not feasible as the expensive part of these are the rims, the hubs are comparably worthless. If you bought them from a shop you can of course return them and see what they give you instead. If you bought them online... well, why the heck did you buy a bike with tubulars if you wanted clinchers... ?? :?

If you want to sell them, best option is a friend, who can take advantage of you in terms of dealing with potential warranty claims... once you sell them, the warranty is void and the sale price drops accordingly
    left the forum March 2023
  • Many thanks, looks like modification is not an option. Not the ride quality that puts me off tubular it is having to replace the tube and glue/tape in the event of a puncture.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    dpsaunders wrote:
    Many thanks, looks like modification is not an option. Not the ride quality that puts me off tubular it is having to replace the tube and glue/tape in the event of a puncture.

Seal them... meaning pour a scoop of latex suspension or latex spray inside the tyre and you should be pretty much puncture free until the tyre is worn... at that point you take it to a decent shop to fit a new tubular... cheaper than buying new wheels...
    left the forum March 2023
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    dpsaunders wrote:
    Many thanks, looks like modification is not an option. Not the ride quality that puts me off tubular it is having to replace the tube and glue/tape in the event of a puncture.

Seal them... meaning pour a scoop of latex suspension or latex spray inside the tyre and you should be pretty much puncture free until the tyre is worn... at that point you take it to a decent shop to fit a new tubular... cheaper than buying new wheels...

Im with Ugo on this. A tubular with a decent sealant will be better at puncture prevention. You can still carry a spare tubular on long rides if you are worried. They can be folded up reasonably small to fit in a pocket. Although some may disagree, if you have to replace on the road you dont need glue as air pressure alone will keep it on the rim so long as you get it hard enough using a co2 canister to top up the pressure. You are not likely to be throwing it around hard into corners so chances of it coming off are minimal. I have done so myself in the past. Also I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen someone replace a tube on the road and then pinch flat the spare or fail to remove the debris that caused the puncture.