Campag cassette size query

bilsea159
bilsea159 Posts: 256
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I have a 2010 short cage rear mech on my bike with a standard 53/39 road cassette and a 12-23 cassette. I have looked into converting into compact but have found the cost prohibitive for the few times i need the bigger gears. I would like to know can I put on a 13-26 cassette without any adjustments or will I need a new chain for the extra teeth, or will I need a new medium mech. I have also considered up to 13-28 if that is possible?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    A short cage with a standard double will work fine with a 13-26.

Is your 2010 mech an old shape one - or the new shape? Is it 10 or 11 speed?

The capacity of a short cage mech will take a 13-28 with a standard double without any problems. in this case, the issue may be the max sprocket size.

The modern shaped 10-speed ones will take a 28 and a 29 - as will all 11-speed mechs. Officially, the older 10 speed rear mechs will only go up to a 26 - but I've run one with 29 no problem. However, you'll have to see if you can get the top pulley to clear the sprocket - and I've heard that it puts too-great a strain on the mech spring which may eventually fail.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Whether you need a new chain will depend on what the existing chain length is like.