Miller Resigns - About Time Too

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Maria Miller resigns her post as culture secretary. How the hell she thought she could carry on is typical of the political elite.
If anyone has ever put in for expenses there is always a statement one has to sign indicating that he monies claimed for are a true reflection of outlay required to carry out ones duty. For someone that has a Masters in Economics to put in for a dodgy £49k and think they can get away with it beggars belief. And if any of us on here claimed for something dodgy, our boss would not be supporting us, but handing us a P45.

Good riddance to her and I trust that she has her seat removed from her by Basingstoke Torries.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Maria Miller resigns her post as culture secretary. How the hell she thought she could carry on is typical of the political elite.
    If anyone has ever put in for expenses there is always a statement one has to sign indicating that he monies claimed for are a true reflection of outlay required to carry out ones duty. For someone that has a Masters in Economics to put in for a dodgy £49k and think they can get away with it beggars belief. And if any of us on here claimed for something dodgy, our boss would not be supporting us, but handing us a P45.

Good riddance to her and I trust that she has her seat removed from her by Basingstoke Torries.

Why should she have her seat removed. As an MP it's her duty to fleece the tax payer of every penny she can and then be judged by her fellow MP 'fleecers' who say she did nothing wrong... If an MP has to resign a position there should be an immediate by-election, with said MP being barred from standing for 5 years. And all camoron has to say is hope to see you back as a minister soon!!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2014
    Mr Goo wrote:

Why should she have her seat removed. As an MP it's her duty to fleece the tax payer of every penny she can and then be judged by her fellow MP 'fleecers' who say she did nothing wrong... If an MP has to resign a position there should be an immediate by-election, with said MP being barred from standing for 5 years. And all camoron has to say is hope to see you back as a minister soon!!

Quite. Though lets not forget that fleecing the tax payer or dodgy financial arrangements are NOT exclusive to the Torries. Couple of Labours finest below.

article-1291840-08DAADE8000005DC-847_233x423.jpg
    Denis-MacShane-450181.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
  • Whilst in no way am I condoning the actions of this lady I wonder how many of the people showing righteous indignation have paid the tax on their PPI pay out or how many of them are self employed tradesmen doing cash in hand jobs.

There does appear to be a culture of "my fiddles only a small fiddle so what" but if it is a public figure or someone in government then they are there to be castigated.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Whilst in no way am I condoning the actions of this lady I wonder how many of the people showing righteous indignation have paid the tax on their PPI pay out or how many of them are self employed tradesmen doing cash in hand jobs.

There does appear to be a culture of "my fiddles only a small fiddle so what" but if it is a public figure or someone in government then they are there to be castigated.

To my mind, it's not the fact that she did it, it's the mealy mouthed, weasel word way in which she dealt with it, and the way her MP chums all gather round whining "Stop picking on her"!
  • bianchimoon
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Quite. Though lets not forget that fleecing the tax payer or dodgy financial arrangements are exclusive to the Torries. Couple of Labours finest below.

Definately not an exclusive club of torries i agree :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    been sick of hearing this all week... a complete non story in my humble opinion. once again hysterical press intervention wins the day
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Whilst in no way am I condoning the actions of this lady I wonder how many of the people showing righteous indignation have paid the tax on their PPI pay out or how many of them are self employed tradesmen doing cash in hand jobs.

A bit obvious isn't it? Whilst it's one thing to bend/break the rules yourself, it is something else to tell other people to abide by the rules when you yourself are on the make with them.

What I don't understand is why MPs seem unable to grasp the concept of the meaning of the term 'expenses' - ie additional costs in your life incurred as a result of doing your job. It's very simple. Everyone else in the public sector gets it - it's all been made extremely clear. Why don't MPs get it?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Mikey23 wrote:
    been sick of hearing this all week... a complete non story in my humble opinion. once again hysterical press intervention wins the day
    So you approve of elected officials fleecing their nest with public funds?
  • Mikey23
    Nope but I understand that she was investigated and found not guilty. If I'm reading correctly I think the rags are railing at MPs investigating themselves. Which is a separate issue and not of her doing. Apologies if I've missed the point, like I said I've not been following the story and am a bit sick of these media frenzy witch hunts.

Oh and she only gave a 32s apology... Shameful that
  • bianchimoon
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Nope but I understand that she was investigated and found not guilty. If I'm reading correctly I think the rags are railing at MPs investigating themselves. Which is a separate issue and not of her doing. Apologies if I've missed the point, like I said I've not been following the story and am a bit sick of these media frenzy witch hunts.

Oh and she only gave a 32s apology... Shameful that

err if she was found not guilty why did she even bother with a 32 second apology?
  • Mikey23
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 46675.html

Ok, so now up to speed with this. Still looks like a media frenzy to me...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    She should have been kicked out and not had the option :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Mikey23 wrote:
    We'll I think her threats against the Parliamentary Commissioner are probably the biggest issue, she was clearly trying to block the inquiry by threatening to have the Commissioner neutered. I am not sure that the Independent article really gives you a full picture of what was written by Miller.

Certainly it has generated a media frenzy but in this case that is a good thing because how else would you get such individuals to resign. Personally I would prefer a voracious press to a toothless one.
  • Mikey23
    Watching an item on this on newsnight right now. It is the general mistrust of politicians and their perceived lack of integrity rather than the minutiae of this particular case that did for the maid. I'm not aware of the threats against the commissioner but I can understand why her apology was somewhat grudging if she did not think she had done anything wrong. Cameron desperate to keep her as one of his token females. Milliband desperate to see the back of her so that he can make political capital out of Cameron's alleged lack of judgement. Newspapers sell more copy, BBC fills airtime. The expenses gravy train moves on and continues to cost us millions despite attempts to reform it. Until the next victim comes along. The state of UK politics. Makes you proud doesn't it...