Lower Jockey Wheel Skipping on Chain

snailmale
snailmale Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi there,

My lower jockey wheel (aluminium) is skipping on the chain when I run low gears (39-28). It meshes nicely with the outer link of the chain since it is wider, but makes the chain jump a little to the side in order to fit into the inner link. This basically means that the jockey wheel is further inboard (toward the wheel) than the chain when running low gears. There is also noticeably more noise when running on the low gears than high gears, due to the chain rubbing on the jockey wheel.

I have aligned by Low derailleur screw as far outboard, away from the wheel, as possible, to the point just before the chain wants to skip to the 2nd gear. However, the issue has persisted.

Running a Token tiramic jockey wheel on Shimano 105 5700 drive train. I noticed this issue before, but just figured it was normal as my gears shift smoothly. Then I had a chain break, twist and jam inside the jockey wheel cage on Sunday, and I'm kind of paranoid now. After fitting the new chain, I took it in to the bike shop nearby and the mechanic rode the bike up and down a small hill and said that everything seemed A-okay, shifting well. He suggested that I don't waste money by sending it in for a full tuneup.

My guess now is that it is due to a slightly bent derailleur hanger. I'm not fussed by the noise, but do worry that my chain will experience wear and break easily. Should I send it in for straightening, or just ride on? Anyone with advice/experience on this? Thanks!

Comments

• peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    I'd have the hanger alignment checked as part of course.

I had a similar issue recently where anything from 50 - 23 up was running on the bottom jockey in a very odd line causing the chain to skip to the side of the cage.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny