Face Mask

Masonavickof
Masonavickof Posts: 278
edited April 2014 in Commuting general
Hi

Can anyone recommend a good face mask for a long commute through London. Been looking but there's not much of a choice on wiggle, Evans etc...

Many thanks

Brian
It\'s not what we own, but what we value that makes us rich.

Comments

• moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    I used to use a Respro one, which was very good but boy did it make my mouth and whin all sweaty.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I'm currently waiting on delivery of a respro sportstar will let you know what it's like when it arrives.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    I wouldn't bother. Take in the fumes and don't cut your nasal hair as this will filter most out.....When I first stated cycling I used a facemask and the lack of oxygen was a problem.

Seriously though it can be concern when, after a long ride, I take off my glasses and my lower face is noticeably more pollution covered.....it can be like I have ridden Paris-Roubaix. Pollution is a worry but I think a mask makes the whole experience difficult.
  • Thanks for replies...

I'm getting quiet worried about recent reports on Diesel ommissions in London.

Brian
    It\'s not what we own, but what we value that makes us rich.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've been riding with this for a couple of days now. It's definitely a weird experience. I think it's going to end up being a trade off between the air (and for me it's about the pollen more than pollution) and the ballache of having a mask on. Downsides there are:

Uncomfortable on the back of the neck
    Hot and minging when you sweat
    Psychologically a bit odd as you have to draw air in, that was spinning me out a bit on the first day but I felt more comfortable with it today
    Scary looking, which could be good or bad dependent on the impression you're trying to create
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I once read that the harmful particles are too small to filter out, so those masks are basically a waste of time. Never researched it in detail, but wearing one would make cycling so unpleasant that 'd be inclined not to bother, so I'm happy to justify my decision not to bother on that unproven snippet of trivia.

Seriously though, would you wear one on the underground? Air pollution is worse down there than overground by all accounts.