best tyres for a sportive

2»

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Gators are wired so take levers in case you need to swap out a tube.

Personally I like Specialized Espoirs, good resistance and wet grip.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    drlodge wrote:
    I found the Paves extremely fast, grippy and comfortable. In fact, a really excellent tyre except for the cuts.

Me too and after 1000 miles the little cuts are still just that, little cuts. They seem to have done no damage to performance or endurance at all, I've had zero punctures with them in this time.

If only they weren't green :lol:
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I'd go for the Michelin Pro Endurance but Conti 4 Seasons get good press.

Personally I found Vittoria Rubinos as lacking grip too, they wear well, bit of a budget Gatorskin.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    edited April 2014
    I've been using bontrager hardcase all through winter, done about 2000 miles and not a single p*ncture. Which isn't bad for a 90kg lad like myself.

I've just brought some gp4000s for summer and there seams to be soooo many mixed reviews, could this really be put down to the luck of the rider???
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    No, no, the ones I use, the ones I use. (Standard Response no.1 in the Road Buying section).
  • Langlais
    Langlais Posts: 21
    Sportive tyres – Hutchinson Fusion 3. Pretty light (215g?), roll well, grip reasonably well in the dry, average in the wet, above all very puncture resistant, hard-wearing and don't cut up too much. But my favourite ever tyres were Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comp, 2012 vintage (the tread pattern has changed since then?). Very good on corners in the wet or dry, and good puncture resistance (despite taking a few sidewall cuts).
  • AndyK2479
    AndyK2479 Posts: 75
    I use 25mm Conti GP4000s for my Spring/Summer riding, touch wood had no problems with them, good combination of grip, longevity and rolling resistance. I tried a set Ultremo ZX last summer for a while, the local roads had them for breakfast,dinner and tea.

I keep looking at alternatives to the Conti's but keep going back to them when they need replacing.
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Conti 4seasons seem pretty bloody bombproof to me. Did the Nidderdale sportive recently and the number of people puncturing on the descent to Kettlewell was unbelievable. I've only ever had two punctures in 9 years on my Scott CR1 and one was because the Bontranger RaceLites were well worn. I always pump up to 110/120 unless it's wet which prevents pinch flats. Anyway it's a sportive not a bleedin race...ah well maybe it is a race but I'm always near the back.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1