buying advice for a complete beginner

donslow
donslow Posts: 69
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey all, my first post here so ease be gentle hahaha

I need help with a new bike purchase, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Long story short, for as long as I care to remember I have ridden jump bikes, basically where I went, so did my bike, commuting, trails, street riding/parks off road and cross country/long distances

Recently had my bike stolen so consulted the insurance who are going to pay out a maximum of £800 as long as I spend it with wheelies.co.uk

Have been toying with he idea of getting a mountain bike but a little unsure as Iddon't know much about them, definitely looking for a hard tail but don't know whether to buy another jump bike or go for a mountain

I recently emailed wheelies asking for advice and two bikes were suggested, giant talon 27.5 and a scott voltage yz10

Still unsure of which way to go with these two bikes I was wondering if you good good people might be able to suggest any others from said website I should be looking at

I'm about 5'6 tall with a roughly, give or take, 27" inside leg

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links would help - there are a number of different Talon models.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps I know nothing about jump bikes, but the Scott is nasty, with dire forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    pps Wheelies tend to be a rip off as they discount heavily back to the insurer. See what cash you can get and look at other shops - you can probably do better for much less.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • donslow
    I did ask about a cash alternative but apparently that's not an option

Links to the bikes that were suggested to me
    http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p66508/Giant- ... -Bike.aspx

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p66812/Scott- ... -Bike.aspx

I'm just wondering really if there would be anything else that I should be looking at for my money
  • donslow
    Talon 4 (a lesser specced bike) was also a suggestion
  • cooldad
    I suggest you read your policy. And suggest to them that you might need to discuss it with the ombudsman unless it states you have to use Wheelies. It's not like they're doing you a favour. What was the spec of the stolen bike - if it was better, you are entitled to comparable. So if you had decent damped forks, that's what you should get.
    Spec on both looks rubbish, especially the forks, and you could do much better from Halfords or Decathlon for about £500.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    I suggest you read your policy. And suggest to them that you might need to discuss it with the ombudsman unless it states you have to use Wheelies. It's not like they're doing you a favour. What was the spec of the stolen bike - if it was better, you are entitled to comparable. So if you had decent damped forks, that's what you should get.
    Spec on both looks rubbish, especially the forks, and you could do much better from Halfords or Decathlon for about £500.

This ^^^^

I'm guessing this is a general insurance policy (rather than a bike specific one) in which case it would seem unlikely they'd specify where a bike would need to be bought from.

If its a 'new for old policy' you'll be entitled to something of an equivalent (new) price of the bike, if not, then potentially you'll only be able to claim for the current value of the stolen bike.
  • donslow
    Some interesting points that I may have to look into again, excuse my ignorance here but who would be beat to speak to about cash settlement?! The insurance company or wheelies?
  • donslow
    Once again, please excuse my ignorance but one guy I spoke to at wheelies said this....

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p61013/DMR-Re ... -Bike.aspx

Was quite close spec wise to what I had (2008 cannondale chase 1) and that this would be a reasonable replacement, is he right?

Thanks again
  • cooldad
    The insurance company. But know nothing about jump bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools