Mavic Aksium 2014

Elfed
Elfed Posts: 459
edited April 2014 in Road general
Hi, on Saturday I bought my first upgrade wheelset as my current Giant SR-2 wheels were starting to show a lot of wear on the braking surface.

I bought the Mavic Aksium wheelset as the Ksyriums were way more than I could afford(which I really wanted) and swapped the Mavic tyres for Conti Gatorskins. I know some would say I did the wrong thing as the Mavic tyres roll well and are supposedly good. I've done 3200 miles on Gatorskins and had one puncture so that's what swayed my decision to swap the tyres as I ride crap roads and am happier with knowing they're durable. The plan is to ride the Gatorskins for a couple of months then buy the new GP4000S mk2 for the summer(great deal on Rose Bikes, pair for around £52).

Back to the wheels, as I can only compare to the stock Giant SR-2 wheels that came on my Defy my experience of wheels will be limited.

First thing I noticed after a couple of feet is that they were twitchier, in that they responded a lot quicker to movements on the handlebar.

Second thing is that they seemed to keep their speed a lot better and maybe required less effort to push along. I'm not sure if that's really the case but definitely felt that way.

Third was how much smoother they were, I mean far far smoother to my previous wheels and also they seemed quieter, a lot quieter.

Fourth thing was a bit of a surprise in that I constantly suffer with numbness in my two outer fingers whilst out on rides, left hand more so, but tonight it wasn't happening and my arse was a bit more comfortable as well. Can wheels absorb shock better than others as my old wheels felt much harsher and transmitted a lot more road vibration.

Fifth and most importantly it knocked 4mph off my average speed - only joking, unfortunately didn't notice much difference there :(:(:(

Now all you guys with knowledge of wheels, am I merely imagining all this because they're new or is there some truth in all this?

And also, if I'd have bought the Ksyriums which are around £500 instead of the Aksiums which are £200 would I notice the £300 difference on my ride, which if my maths are correct would be a 150% improvement on what I've just experienced?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tyres are cheaper if you can wiggle a bit.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    Elfed wrote:
    First thing I noticed after a couple of feet is that they were twitchier, in that they responded a lot quicker to movements on the handlebar.

Third was how much smoother they were, I mean far far smoother to my previous wheels and also they seemed quieter, a lot quieter.

Now all you guys with knowledge of wheels, am I merely imagining all this because they're new or is there some truth in all this?

Afraid so... unless you have changed your steering column or stem length, the wheel does not have a delay in responding, no matter how crap it is. A "squared" tyre can give you terrible handling though and that's probably what the problem was with your previous set.
    You will find that most people define Aksium and Ksyrium Elite as "harsh" rather than smooth, so as you can see there isn't much truth in that either, I'd say the definition of smooth is very personal...as it applies differently in diverse things (coffee, ballroom dancing, potato mash, the list is endless) maybe you had shot bearings in your previous wheels and these run like new... because they are!

But the important thing is that you are happy and that's the only truth... :D
    left the forum March 2023
  • Elfed
    The tyres on the Mavics were brand new and the ones on the Giant front wheel only a month old so can't be that.

As for smooth, the Giant wheel's bearings were maybe shot or needed greasing as these new wheels are so much better compared, they roll so much nicer. Can't really explain it any better but it was definitely an eye opener, and yes I'm happy with them, for now......
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I run a front Aksium on my SS and I found it a much better upgrade to my old Alex Rims wheel. Rolls better, faster and lighter.

I just upgraded my road wheels from Alexrace 28 to carbon reynolds assaults. The difference was amazing.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Elfed
    The Aksiums will do for this year, get some GP4000S mk2 in a few months and I'll be sorted. I'm trying to build up my fitness and endurance so these will serve me well for now.

I was a bit dubious about all this wheel upgrade business and was a bit hesitant about spending any more in case I'd be disappointed and not feel a difference. If only we could try wheels in the same way they do test saddles.