How long should road shoes last

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
I road with SPD pedals for about 3 years and only had 1 pair of cheap Shimano shoes that entire time in which I probably covered 6-7000km. Last September I bought my first pair of SPD-SL shoes - Diadora Speed Racer 2. I've been really happy with the shoes but I notice that after 6 months of use they are starting to get shabby - the metal fixings are rusting and the fabric straps are fraying. I have ridden in bad weather far more this Winter than ever before, riding at least 100k every week through all the rubbish weather and often twice that. I never do any more than give the shoes a cursory wipe but I never did anything more with my SPD shoes either.

Should I expect the shoes to be wearing already or is this unusual?

Cheers

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I get 2 years out of Shimano SPD-SL cleats and about 5 years out of a pair of shoes... could be more if I could replace the heel.
    That's about 30,000 miles
    left the forum March 2023
  • fatdaz
    Cheers - And do you do anything more than wipe them down after wet, filthy days?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2014
    I would dry them out if they got wet, but would have worn overshoes to have prevented them getting too wet in the first place.
    Overshoes save you having to clean them as well as keeping them (and your feet!) dry.

Sounds like they have rotted.

If they do get wet I take the inner soles out and stick a load of kitchen towel in mine, then put them in the bottom of the cylinder cupboard.

Only takes 2 min and if I am going for ride the next day they are nice and warm ;-)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Well over 15k miles on my Bontragers and still going strong. I take the insoles out if they get wet but that's it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I find Sidi shoes last the best, got some which are over 8 years old still going strong.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I don't do anything... I never wash them... only brush the mud off in winter and stick them on the radiator when they're soggy.
    Since I've given up club rides = coffee breaks shoes last longer... :wink:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Replaced the look cleats on my shoes after a year, walking on them (=coffee and cake stops) wears them out quickly. But the shoes are fine.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • fatdaz
    Thanks all - looks like I may have just been unlucky. Will try a different shoe when these die just on case
  • ugo.santalucia
    I should also add that I buy cycling shoes second hand, as they are too expensive when new.
    100 quid for the first pair (new 10 years ago), 50 for the second (identical)... 20 quid for the third last year (identical again! :lol: )