Tyres - Mavic Aksion or Michelin Pro4

Graham K
Graham K Posts: 329
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am currently running Aksion's that came with the Askium wheels, prefer the wheels over the Bontrager race that came with the bike,
Before I got the bike I bought a pair of Pro4's because they were cheap, how do the compare against Aksion's, is it worth swapping them over or just wait until the Aksion's have run their life?

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Which pro4? Service course? Endurance?

Not that it matters, they're all pretty great.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    DiscoBoy wrote:

I think Service Course, were on offer at Planet X.
    If the tyres are pretty much like for like then things stay as they are, If theres a noticeable difference then will give them a bash this weekend.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I would change them. They're a highly rated tyre compared to an average one. The difference won't be night and day, but they are better.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I never felt very happy on my Aksium tyres, got a few pinch flats and had the rear wheel slip a bit on corners. I was glad when they got a tear in the side wall (after less than 200 miles) so I could replace them.

I'd use the Pro4's.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • I didn't even try mine. Took them straight off the new wheels. I use them on my turbo.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    DiscoBoy wrote:

This.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    nawty wrote:
    I never felt very happy on my Aksium tyres, got a few pinch flats and had the rear wheel slip a bit on corners. I was glad when they got a tear in the side wall (after less than 200 miles) so I could replace them.

I'd use the Pro4's.
    That sounds suspicious to me. A sidewall tear after 200 miles?
    I reckon you slashed them yourself so you could justify taking them off.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It can happen. Most likely road debris.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Pro 4 Service Course is a good tyre, I recently moved to this from GP4000S (which is also a good tyre).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm very happy with the way that the Pro4 SC ride.. Better than the GP4000s and they seem very grippy too.

I have ruined two rears in less than a month though! Both sidewall problems - 1st one hit a pothole hard in a race (OK fair enough).. Second one got a nice cut straight through from something sharp in the road (OK that's just bad luck?!)... Third time lucky right?!?!