Santa Cruz Heckler or Orange 5

Hector 5
Hector 5 Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Got about £3500 to spend and got the list whittled down to these 2 bikes , any advice either way will be appreciated, i reallise these bikes are very similar but i am leaning towards the Heckler as i like the look of it , i will be test riding both bikes in 2 weeks time, cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Test first, then update us!
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    You won't get a balanced answer on the forum mate. Five gets bad press on here, for what it's worth I am absolute over the moon with mine! Amazing!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    edited April 2014
    If you're spending £3500 I'd get neither..

Have you looked at the Transition Bandit? Nukeproof Mega? And so on
    Nothing against the Heckler or Five but you can get more for your money
    And if you're dead set on the Heckler get a custom build.. It will work out cheaper if you source parts from Germany like I did for my build
  • Hector 5
    Cant wait for the test, the money is burning a hole in my pocket, as for the 5 i know of quite a few who have them and i've never heard a bad word about them i just fancy something a little bit different, but its low maintainence single pivot which is the main thing
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    neither - both overpriced with better bikes out there
  • Hector 5
    maybe better but loads more hassle, got a stumpjumper already never ride it as get sick of changing pivot bearings, been riding my steel hardtail for the last few years but its starting to take its toll on my body, getting too old so i thought single pivot would be a good compromise
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Russyh wrote:
    You won't get a balanced answer on the forum mate. Five gets bad press on here, for what it's worth I am absolute over the moon with mine! Amazing!

its not bad press, they just cost a lot for the spec you get

3k and all you get is SLX, mavic 317 rims and a crapy fox evolution shock while the fork isn't much better
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Yeah right, like there wasn't a whole orange haters thread?? I love my five it rides like a dream, I love the looks. Yes it's expensive, yes the spec isn't great but I have upgraded mine to the spec I want. Not all of us are worried about price, as value for money is different between different people. The single pivot works for me, got sick of changing the pivot bearings on other bikes. The brand is something I enjoy buying into, I love the feel of the bike and how it rides, I love the bright colours rather than the boring mat black of every other bike....

To my kind you either love or hate oranges there is no common ground, but they are popular on the trails I ride so they must be doing something right. However they do get a kicking on here.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am very tempted by the Heckler too - looking to get one on a pro deal in Whistler next week if they can do it.

Downside of the Heckler is no frame only option so you have to get the SC builds which aren't particularly spangly. I'd go for the R build with the Sector as its a decent price and change things as needed.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Downside of the Heckler is no frame only option so you have to get the SC builds which aren't particularly spangly.

You can get frame only in the UK.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I know someone who bought an Orange 5 once.
    Six months later, herpes.
    Unrelated? I'm not so sure.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I heard about that. Didn't it mutate into bad aids worms?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    cooldad wrote:

Didnt important bits drop off him too?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Didnt important bits drop off him too?
    Last I heard he was shooting ping pong balls in Bangkok.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    Antm81 wrote:
    Downside of the Heckler is no frame only option so you have to get the SC builds which aren't particularly spangly.

Really? Stif don't list the frame only option. No option on SC website either.
  • paul.skibum
    I take it back there is a frame only option on SC website.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Hector 5 wrote:
    its low maintainence single pivot which is the main thing

can't comment on the orange, but i had one of the last models hecklers for 5 years and didn't have to touch the bearings or even tighetn the pinch bolts once. and that was five years of winters in the peak district, which can usually kill any bering in 2-3 years. they also have a life time guarentee on them.

great bike and very capeable. only thing i ever felt was wrong with it was the head angle at 69 degrees, i believe they've addressed that with the new model so should be a blast
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Antm81 wrote:

Really? Stif don't list the frame only option.

They did last time I was in there, had one hanging on the wall.